Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I do this?

dave_mednickdave_mednick Member Posts: 4
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/07062d4c20a51b7a67d3b68e/w/86333d5e1a0856757a642942/e/b684a5d4f39413a93f7002e1?renderMode=0&uiState=65a5ac1e6fc4ce79b67cd467

I have only recently started using OnShape.  I've been a Blender user for many years.

I have a few questions on how to do perform certain modeling tasks with OnShape regarding the model I have linked above.
  • How do I create multiple instances of the "Tab" part and connect them to specific locations of the main bezel?
  • How do I use the "Curve Front Bottom" to cut that curve shape into the front and back of the model?  The bezel sits on a curved raised surface and I need it to fit flush using that curve.
  • How would I engrave or emboss lettering or logos into the face of the bezel?
Thanks in advance for your help and for this awesome community.

Comments

• Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    Could you provide more pictures of the part please
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 672 PRO
    edited January 16
    Nothing on modern car interiors is modeled like you have your model. They all use "organic" surfaces that flow smoothly. Your model is more like "block construction", for functional stuff. If you intend to closely match something in a car interior, you will need to learn surfacing. It's a whole other ballgame. There are several courses for it in the learning center. Surfacing is built on curves, so you actually need to learn curves first.
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited January 17
    Not sure what you are trying to achieve with that model so far. You don't want to bend it, wouldn't you?
    This kind of parts is usually created by using profile curves and guide curves for lofts, sweeps, or the like, as well as limiting surfaces to trim to or project onto. You have the scan, and already tried to create a curve on that. That's the right approach. Simplify that curve (use less control points, say 4) and create at least one more curve on the 'Right Plane' that shares a common point with the first (->pierce constraint). These two will give you a face you can start with. (Quick and bit inaccurate sample: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/823484ae3221425314926408/w/54e79cecab4cf47f36975680/e/67db9091d05299046adb3505?renderMode=0&uiState=65a818fcb31b464a7b59715d)
    That tab part appears not to be identical in all places. I doubt you could fully re-use it. Else, you could try pattern along curve.
    You can project sketches onto faces, and use the result to make engravings (e.g. by thicken-remove).

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,724 PRO
    edited January 17

Welcome to Onshape @dave_mednick

There are several ways to do any of these tasks, here is one way to do them:
    • Multiple tabs can be created by making the first tab as its own part, then using a combination of Transform copy, Curve pattern, and Mirror.
    • Curving the bottom front and back: This will depend on if you want your entire part to be curved, or only the bottom edge. If only the bottom edge, you can draw the cut out shape with a sketch, then Extrude remove that shape from the main part. If you want the entire part curved, in this case, you will probably need to draw the profile of the part, then create a path for it to follow so you can Sweep or Loft the part along the path.
    • Getting letters on the the part can be achieved a few different ways. You could create a sketch and use the sketch text tool, then extrude the words up to the face of the part, then remove or add to your part. Here is a great custom feature for adding text to a part: Surface Text by @jan_vykydal
    Each of the standard features can be learned through the Learning Pathways at the Learning Center. I find the learning pathways to be insanely helpful.

Here is a simpler way that may also be applicable, depending on the shape of your part.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/87a053aa0f8702d891902276/w/d9d5469e84664a8ee0a55432/e/21d3ff896e...

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    dave_mednickdave_mednick Member Posts: 4

Welcome to Onshape @dave_mednick

Thanks!  You made short work of that.  I've only been using OnShape for a few weeks and I thought I was doing well. I have a lot to learn.  I'll definitely check out Learning Pathways.

I did want the top surface squared off for two reasons. 1) It will be much easier to print and not require supports; and 2) it will make it a unique item and IMO better than the OEM part.

I've put the tabs in the correct places I need for this application.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/48e759585d1b7fbfe54b60d2/w/d8b7bff722d533264d3b7ba3/e/7417e0684f1211eaabfcf076?renderMode=0&uiState=65a8918dc8348459d12ba540