Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Barrel Cam Issue with Wrap

Connor_LeCLaireConnor_LeCLaire Member Posts: 18 PRO
Hi,

I am attempting to design a simple non-continuous barrel cam for an application. It has a straight section then a section that is at 30deg from the main axis of the cylinder, these are joined by a small circular curve tangent to each. I sketched the centerline, and used the Slot sketch feature to make it the correct width. Then used the wrap feature around the already-extruded cylinder, selected solid and remove. However, I noticed that the walls are tapered inwards (as if project from the center of the cylinder) and the bottom is also curved.

Current geometry using process above:

Desired geometry

The cam path

I've also tried using a projected curve with a swept profile. However the projected curve loses the constant pitch angle portion (30deg) as it deforms into being 90deg at the quarter-turn point. Then the sweep profile does not stay normal to the path.

The only thing I can think of is using a much more complex lofted profile with multiple planes, profiles, and guide curves which I'd like to avoid.
Tagged:

Answers