Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Creating logarithmic spirals using a conic and a helix. Need some math help!

I've been trying to create logarithmic spirals in Onshape, and have found a few special features that other users have kindly developed, but none of these met my needs. You can project a regular (Archimedean) spiral on to a sketch easily enough using a conical helix: 

But I wanted a logarithmic spiral (i.e. one where the distance between the turnings increase in geometric progression) and unfortunately you can't project a helix on to anything other than a cone or a cylinder. So instead, I used the loft feature to create a surface from a helix to its axis. I then created a horn shaped object by rotating a sketch with a conic about its axis. I then subtracted (Boolean) the horn from the surface. I could then 'use' (i.e. project) the inside edge of the surface on to a sketch in a perpendicular plane:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8f65c1667813235a037348da/w/e6d6a886e68d914a56993e10/e/b02f51d28e59bd8b08e851b9

In this way the spiral shape is determined by only three variables: The radius of the horn's base:

the number of turns (rotations) the helix makes:

and the Rho of the conic used to sketch the horn's cross section.

The height of the horn has no influence.

What I would like to do is understand the relationship between these variables and the spiral's logarithmic ratio (the geometric progression of the distances between the turnings of the spiral), so that I can (a) figure out what variables to use to create a golden spiral (i.e. with a ratio equal to the golden ratio) and then perhaps at some future point once I've learned how, (b) incorporate these variables into a feature script that draws logarithmic spirals using just these three variables.

So, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Best Answer

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24 Answer ✓
    The equation for a logarithmic spiral is r = ae^(bθ). This can either be implemented via custom FS, or you can use my Parametric Curve FS to generate it. Here's an example.

Answers