Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

assembly configuration based on configuration list values/input.

stvnvl_8501stvnvl_8501 Member Posts: 113 PRO
Hello

Is it possible to drive a certain value in an assembly based on the input of (several) configuration variables. (or better yet, the chosen value in a configuration list input). 
best would be to drive variables that can be used throughout the assembly (but those are global variables or "variable studio variables" and to my knowledge can't inherit from parts nor assembly variables) 
i've made a simplified example. 
Here I would like to alter the offset of the planar mate based on the configuration of the parts selected. the cylinder has a min max sliding position, based on offsets between the configurable parts.  
for the drawing however I would like it to have a "default" default position somewhere between those boundaries. 

configuration variables in ternary operator | subassembly (onshape.com)

example: 

Answers

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,516 PRO
    edited January 23
    You should be able to just configure the limits of your mates (or worst case use additional mates that are suppressed/resolved.
    I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do with the extra mates... All you should need is a slider with limits.

EDIT: I think maybe I understand what you were trying to do a bit better?
    Something like this: 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d2f2987703514427318345c4/w/9e298245ca7081627448e991/e/2a05d5d2faa48245abcda557

• Options
    edited January 23
    You should be able to just configure the limits of your mates (or worst case use additional mates that are suppressed/resolved.
    I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do with the extra mates... All you should need is a slider with limits.
    THank you Eric.

I can set up slider mates on the parts an limit their movements setting the limit values. But I'm over complicating things, by adding this in the mix. I'm sorry for the confusion. 

the basic issue is: I have 2 seperate parts. 
    Those parts each have several length configurations driven by a list configuration. is there a way to retreive the sum of their lengths to use it on the assembly level?
    image a part = box with a configurable height (3 options). and an assembly with 5 boxes stacked on top of each other. the height of each box can be set in the assembly configuration.  
    can I retreive the total height of the stack of boxes. ? 

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,516 PRO
    THank you Eric.

I can set up slider mates on the parts an limit their movements setting the limit values. But I'm over complicating things, by adding this in the mix. I'm sorry for the confusion. 

the basic issue is: I have 2 seperate parts. 
    Those parts each have several length configurations driven by a list configuration. is there a way to retreive the sum of their lengths to use it on the assembly level?
    image a part = box with a configurable height (3 options). and an assembly with 5 boxes stacked on top of each other. the height of each box can be set in the assembly configuration.  
    can I retreive the total height of the stack of boxes. ? 

I updated my answer a bit in a way that might help with this specific case but I don't think there's a way to do what you are asking directly...
    If you had the box heights stored as variable in a variable studio you should at least be able to access that info at the assembly level but I'm not 100sure you could achieve what you are looking for...
  • Options
    Hi Eric,

thanks for the quick answer. 
    It works like a charm on a part studio level. there I can set the local variables (which also show in the feature browser) to a specific configuration input.
    If I could set a part studio variable (variable stuio variable) in the same way, through a configuration input (or combination of configuration inputs in a formula) that would resolve most of the issues. Unfortunately I can't (yet) 
    measured studio variables would also come in handy... 

I like the configuration options in OS, they're quick and straightforward compared to other CAD, but still lacking some functionality to fully configure more complex models, especially assemblies. 

Thanks again for the help!