Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

I was skeptical, but now I love Onshape

josh_targojosh_targo Member Posts: 39 EDU
I have minimal experience with Solidworks and Fusion, 5 years with Catia for auto design (Class-A), and 20 years with Sketchup. I was frustrated at first, and really didn't enjoy it, but I've been building a whole robot for Crescendo and have grown to love Onshape.

I had some help from the mentor of 3847 Spectrum, but I can't find him to thank him. If anyone can tag him here, please do. I use a lot of their model organization rules that they explain in their youtube video. 

This summer I will have to teach the (Inventor-based) team how to use Onshape efficiently for FRC.  I hope they don't hate it, but some students are already resisting the change.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edward_petrilloedward_petrillo Member Posts: 79 EDU
    Three cheers for Onshape and three more for you @josh_targo for planning the switch.  We (Team 293) are designing our eighth robot with Onshape.  Despite the fact that Inventor is the "official"  CAD package for the school, the kids vote with their feet and use OS for woodshop, engineering, robotics, and whatever suits their fancy.  Nearly every student arrives in robotics with basic OS skills.  The latest tutorials are superb-  we only need to teach them the team's best practices to get them going.  
    We recently upgraded to Educator and are learning how to use classrooms effectively.  If PTC would see their way clear to adding access to CAM for Educator,  we'd be in orbit!
  • Options
    fstfst Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    At least there is no disadvantage regarding longevity. Theoretically that could be a big plus in the book of offline CADs - being able to use a copy as long as one can find a computer that runs it (even if you have to go to a museum at some point to find one). For cloud-CAD I understand that subscription is hard to avoid as using the program generates ongoing costs. But for offline CAD subscriptions and license servers unnecessarily give away that advantage. Well, the last used Inventor installation in the world will most probably be a hacked one ;)
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now let's get more F1 in schools teams using Onshape instead of Fusion. :)
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 208 EDU
    We are F1 in schools racing on Tuesday!
  • Options
    josh_targojosh_targo Member Posts: 39 EDU
    Three cheers for Onshape and three more for you @josh_targo for planning the switch.  We (Team 293) are designing our eighth robot with Onshape.  Despite the fact that Inventor is the "official"  CAD package for the school, the kids vote with their feet and use OS for woodshop, engineering, robotics, and whatever suits their fancy.  Nearly every student arrives in robotics with basic OS skills.  The latest tutorials are superb-  we only need to teach them the team's best practices to get them going.  
    We recently upgraded to Educator and are learning how to use classrooms effectively.  If PTC would see their way clear to adding access to CAM for Educator,  we'd be in orbit!
    I started a best practices doc, but if you have anything I can learn from, please link it. Thanks!!

https://yummy-library-363.notion.site/Onshape-CAD-Best-Practices-e493bb4bee8d44039b3a356ce10e822e?pvs=74