Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to check if it fits? Holes/Recesses etc

kevin_hagen536kevin_hagen536 Member Posts: 5
Hey all and I'm sorry I'm not a native speaker, so I hope you'll understand my concern anyway - at least a bit :-)

I create something simple, as you can see on the Screenshot. That is one part of a step/stair which I need to split in 2 parts because it's too big for my printer. 
Later I will put them together to one part, just simple.

I made a copy of that 1st part (Screenshot 2), and instead of having these 2 small "volumes" (red marked on Screenshot 1), I made these recesses (I'm sorry I don't know how to say that correctly..) - Just to explain. But I had to make some adjustments, and it doesn't work well. In Oneshape everyhting was ok, and I thought ok it actually would fit together and so on, but after printing the measurements have not been correctly...

is there a tool or a way to check whether the pins fit into holes? Or is there something, an option etc. that says, make suitable holes/cut-outs from something? 

I really hope you understand and I really would appreciate a tip or solution.

Thank you 

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Kr,
Kevin

Comments

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 672 PRO
    You need to leave clearance between the pins and the recess. "Line to Line" in CAD does not work in real life. That results in a press fit, even if the parts are very accurately made out of metal. Try the "move face" command to give .1mm clearance on each face. That is a good starting point for a 3d printed part.

The other thing is each printer prints differently. My printer tends to print features slightly smaller, for example. You need to do some test prints to get experience for how your printer prints.

In this case, to make the printing fast, cut your two parts so only the pins and mating recess are left. Then print those. Adjust the "move face" if necessary and re-print. This will give you the answer you need to obtain the fit you desire in a few minutes, and without wasting filament printing the entire part.
  • Options
    Hey Nick,

thank you for your info, much appreciated, is there a possibility to send me a screenshot of that "move face" what do you mean?. I'm not professional like you and every support would help me a lot.

Also thank you for your tips, I actually did that before with a very small part, and it worked great, so I thought it also would work later, but well... I'll definitely keep your words in mind.

My printer is a Bambu Lab PS1. 

Kr,
    Kevin
  • Options
    I think I've found it, it's that one?