Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Configurations vs Versions

traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
Is the software world, version control is used for both tracking versions (incremental changes) and variants (same guts, different details. ie configurations). I can't find the original thread here but I remember someone mentioning using the version control to track configurations and a response from someone at Onshape that the version control was not intended for configuration management in a way that suggested some existing plans for configuration management in Onshape. 

I'm now creating models in onshape that would benefit from configurations. I'd love to have the thoughts of the Onshape guys on this topic to think on as I'm doing this boring, repetitive work.... 

Comments

• Options
    caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    I'm interested as well.
    Especially regarding configs integrating with parametrics/expressions.

Dries
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,176
    It's not intended as configuration management, but that doesn't mean you can't use it to save some time, while we work on more "real" configurations (still some time away).  I can imagine at least this workflow for now:

1. Model the base part on the Main branch
    2. Make a branch for every configuration and make configuration-specific changes on that branch.
    3. Every time you want to change all configurations, make a change to the Main branch and merge the change into the configuration branches.

I'd be curious to know how well this works :smile: 
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc