Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Struggling with a very complex curvature design...

rashugerashuge Member Posts: 9
I am going to preface that I am no expert in OnShape by any means whatsoever.  I am designing a custom part for my bespoke vehicle.  I have a front wedge type of shape that I am wanting to have funnel back to a fog light mount.  This is effectively a fog light bucket for a car.  My goal is to have a gentle sweep between the face and the funnel of the light bucket.  The issue I have right now is the cut out of the front face so that I can attempt to use some kind of method to blend the solid faces.  I assume that this will be a problem with the fillet.  So looking for any help that I can get.  I have just had experience with making very technical parts and this is much more of an "art project" to me and it is causing me some mental anguish.  Lol.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/81182266f172ef2332073d25/w/3d4c94d656c2a7207ca579da/e/23e85fc18c4cb01f8219b0b2?renderMode=0&uiState=65b943ee5b440d6e0cf61f03

Comments

• Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 286 PRO
    edited January 31
    It all depends on strategy. I'd try to prepare some geometry that tells the program what you really want. I guess you don't want sharp edges and warped faces inside the bucket, so it might be a good idea to tell the software you want it smooth, how smooth, and in partcular in what regions that is to happen, and from where to where the transitions are meant to go. There are tool options like guides and connections for that, but it will also react quite sensible to the input it is fed. This is just a quick non-comprehensive example:
    I edited the fog mount circle sketch to break it up in segments and have these segments follow that 'focus' circle in the center. That circle's diameter and the rounds in face sketch pretty much controls the smoothing of the edges, and how far it propagates into the bucket. You can go to that sketch and change the dimension at any time, to change the appearance. Of course, there are multiple ways to skin a cat.