Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

strain/displacement in simulation FEA

jelte_steur814jelte_steur814 Member Posts: 78 PRO
edited January 31 in Simulation
Since most polymers behave non-linearly in the elastic range, and most snap hooks etc are not force limited but geometrically defined. I'd love to see some changes/additions to the simulation.

at the moment i usually apply a force and then trial and error that force till I get the proper displacement of my snap. That sucks and should be easier...
the good thing about applying forces is that it will allow the geometry to move/displace in a natural way, in most FEM software displacement loads lock the rotation of a surface/line/set of point so it won't move naturally. therefore a 

However more importantly is that I'm used to looking at te Strain resulting from a displacement so the non-linear elasticity-modulus cancels out. is there a way to get strain results?

kind regards

Jelte

Comments

• Options
    chris_gromek_onshapechris_gromek_onshape Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 19
    edited January 31
    Greetings Jelte,
    Thank you for your suggestions on how we can improve Onshape Simulation.  Luckily, I have some good news: both displacement boundary conditions and expanded results metrics are on our list of near-term enhancements.
    I understand your point regarding locked-vs-free degrees of freedom when applying a displacement constraint, and while I had wondered how many users would appreciate the difference, I am happy to know that at least one certainly will!  Luckily, strain results will be a straightforward addition.
    Regarding the use case you described, non-linear behavior of hyperelastic materials will unfortunately remain out of reach for Onshape Simulation through the near-future.  Though surpassing linear relations and small deformation assumptions is a goal of ours, we will need to make improvements in other areas before tackling those issues.
    Best Regards,
    Chris Gromek

• Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    It's certainly more than one user! I happen to know another one. ;0)