Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

why doesn't not want to work

boaz_vanquaillieboaz_vanquaillie Member Posts: 4
hello, i'm new to cad and oneshape i'm trying to create fan duct with the loft tool but it doesn't work

and i get error loft did not regenerate properly cannot use faces or regions with inner loops as profiles.

does anyone know what it means and how to fix it 

project link: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0089e658e1ef03088cc51fdc/w/376a0f7110735b20389e1b42/e/b7f0878a3152ce793dfc4ecd?renderMode=0&uiState=65bab25ea775742354f83609

Answers

• Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
    You can't loft with 2 perimeters, i.e. a doughnut shape....an  inside and and outside circle. Have a look at this as one way to do it......although it would be better to create the outer solid first and then remove the inner tube afterwards....it would make for a simpler model and less steps in the history tree

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8b2587fbdb3af8ccd7576f18/w/9d2db92826f54a589f9aaf21/e/233c7e531bd75dfaed1472e5

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @boaz_vanquaillie, my approach is similar to what @GWS50 did.  Except I streamlined the workflow a bit to eliminate the boolean and delete-surface operations.  Create the inner lofted face from the inner perimeter of your bottom and top flange parts.  Then loft the outer surface similarly.

The next step is to Enclose the volume bounded by the two lofted faces and the faces of your bottom and top parts.  Note that it is easiest to select the lofted surfaces from the feature list in the lower left portion of your window (by default named Surface 1 and Surface 2).  Cutting a section view ahead of time also makes it much easier to select the relevant faces of the original bottom and top parts.  Otherwise those faces are inaccessible for selection.  This Enclose operation results in one single, solid part and consumes the two surfaces.  There is no need for you to merge parts with a subsequent boolean operation or delete surfaces 1 & 2.

• Options
    boaz_vanquaillieboaz_vanquaillie Member Posts: 4
    it works thx