Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

help turning imported STL into solid

scott_depacescott_depace Member Posts: 9
Anyone feel like pointing me in the right direction? Trying to model this putter which I have an STL scan of. Not sure how best to go about it. i have read processes for conversions, but I was hoping to give this a go. I am pretty new to onshape so any help would be appreciated. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e6295fe80782b0ae4aac41d3/w/1bbb18cb0b9b773d6421a980/e/866bdad141eae4c18312312f?renderMode=0&uiState=65bad932c994bf62fa53b17f

Best Answer

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 670 PRO
    Answer ✓
    It's too complicated for a new user. This was originally modeled using curves and surfaces it looks like by a big company with a staff of engineers. That's what's used when companies want "organic" shapes, which is what most injection molded products are these days, and metal castings.

I'd recommend trying to get "close" using block form modeling as a beginner. From the top down view, draw the outer shape, and extruded it. Then draw the cutouts, and extrude them. Add draft to tilt the walls to approximate. Then add rounds to blend it together. It won't be the same, but from 3 feet away it will look close.

Answers

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 670 PRO
    Answer ✓
    It's too complicated for a new user. This was originally modeled using curves and surfaces it looks like by a big company with a staff of engineers. That's what's used when companies want "organic" shapes, which is what most injection molded products are these days, and metal castings.

I'd recommend trying to get "close" using block form modeling as a beginner. From the top down view, draw the outer shape, and extruded it. Then draw the cutouts, and extrude them. Add draft to tilt the walls to approximate. Then add rounds to blend it together. It won't be the same, but from 3 feet away it will look close.

• Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    edited February 1
    Agree with nick_papageorge073 , and you can make it a bit easier for yourself to model only half of the model and add the stick after you mirror your created model.
  • Options
    scott_depacescott_depace Member Posts: 9
    Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot.