Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Unable to boolean join certain parts

c_piasecc_piasec Member Posts: 8
Hi All,

I've made a part like this and I'm trying to join the supports to the rest of the of the part. Most of the supports join no problem, however some will cause an error if I try to join and I'm struggling to see why. I could just go ahead and print the part fine as it is, but when it comes to assembling the model in CAD etc it won't work unless it's recognised as a single part.

All of the supports have been made in the same way as far as the mouse strokes and constraints. The ends of each support are tethered using 'coincident' to the upper or lower line of the frame so I'd be surprised if there was a gap between lines of my sketch. I've then 'used' the upper and lower lines to create the boundaries of this supports sketch, and trimmed the long sections between supports. The result is some supports that can be made part of the single part, and some that can't. I have tried to delete the parts of the sketch that won't join and re-sketch them, but once I do this that support has will disappear and will not show as an extrusion even as a new part until I edit undo enough times to get back to this situation. 

I feel like I've fallen into a trap by drawing the supports from side-on in the way that I have, but can't see another simple way of doing it?

Thanks

Answers

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    Can you make this document public?
    Looks like this can be done with frames tool that will give a composite part that behaves as one.
  • Options
    c_piasecc_piasec Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for your response. The document no longer exists as it was, in frustration I removed all constraints from the support lines and instead used measurements, leaving the inside 90 degree angles 0.1mm from the frame itself and it was fine.
    I will read up on the frames tool for future.