Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Adjust Sheet Metal Rip from Edge Joint to Butt Joint

I want the top sheet metal surface of this part to meet the side faces in a butt joint style, but the sheet metal command has no option to do this, and the Joint command is not allowed on previously created joints.
Grrr. I can do it with an extrude, but then it doesn't show up in the flat pattern. Any tips? 

You can see my failed joint, and my $hi77y extrude.

Best Answer

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,537 PRO
    edited February 4 Answer ✓
    I want the top sheet metal surface of this part to meet the side faces in a butt joint style, but the sheet metal command has no option to do this, and the Joint command is not allowed on previously created joints.
    Grrr. I can do it with an extrude, but then it doesn't show up in the flat pattern. Any tips? 

Open the bend table on the right, this is where you can change existing joints between rip/but and other but direction:

If for some reason that doesn't work, move face is the best alternate way to achieve this. I suggest playing with the move face in sheet metal, it works really well...

Answers

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @daniel_pinto240, make your document public and share the URL if you want folks to assist.
  • Options
    daniel_pinto240daniel_pinto240 Member Posts: 6
    Unfortunately this part is in a larger document that contains propriotery client information. I wish I could!
  • Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 483 PRO
    @daniel_pinto240
     I wish there was a cleaner way to do this but the best method I found is the move-face command. You will need to leave a small gap between faces to get the sheet metal tools to unfold correctly.
     I would start by pushing the face you want underneath back 2 to 5 thousandths then you should be able to pull the other face overtop.   
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,537 PRO
    edited February 4 Answer ✓

Open the bend table on the right, this is where you can change existing joints between rip/but and other but direction:

If for some reason that doesn't work, move face is the best alternate way to achieve this. I suggest playing with the move face in sheet metal, it works really well...
  • Options
    daniel_pinto240daniel_pinto240 Member Posts: 6
    @eric_pesty That was staring me right in the face and I didn't see it. Thank you so much that is what I needed to learn and it worked well for me. Thank you!