Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

why can't Onshape export my drawing properly?

josh_targojosh_targo Member Posts: 39 EDU

Comments

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 680 PRO
    Are you asking why the pdf in the bottom picture does not match the onshape native drawing in the top picture? If so, the pdf is of an earlier/different version of the drawing. That's the reason.
  • Options
    Are you asking why the pdf in the bottom picture does not match the onshape native drawing in the top picture? If so, the pdf is of an earlier/different version of the drawing. That's the reason.
    no, it was exported directly from the drawing before I took screenshots.  at no point in time did the drawing have slanted dimension lines.
  • Options
    jnewth_onshapejnewth_onshape Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 65
    That looks like a bug or at least very odd behavior. Please share this document with support (click share, then at the bottom, select "share with support") and file a ticket. You can also make this document public and post the url to the forum so other users can help figure out the likely problem.
  • Options
    no, it was exported directly from the drawing before I took screenshots.  at no point in time did the drawing have slanted dimension lines.
    Look at the some of the holes. On the pdf they are dimensioned to the edge of the hole, instead of the center like in the OS drawing on the top. The .494 and the 2.508 on the bottom.

Please make the document public, it's an edu account so it's private by default. We can check it out. I've never seen the pdf export not be perfect, and I've done hundreds of them.
  • Options
    I have it fixed now, but I had to go in to each dimension and manually move the end lines to snap points.  But the screenshot above shows what they looked like without all the manual work. I'm kind of shocked at how bad the drawing module is compared to even Sketchup Layout.
  • Options
    Bob_MinerBob_Miner Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 4
    Yes - please report this issue to Support.  It looks like a bug, and one that we would want to fix quickly.  The PDF should definitely match the drawing you see in Onshape.  Thank you.
  • Options
    Bob_Miner said:
    Yes - please report this issue to Support.  It looks like a bug, and one that we would want to fix quickly.  The PDF should definitely match the drawing you see in Onshape.  Thank you.
    not sure how to send this to support, but this is a brand new doc that basically reproduced the problem. it moved the dimension from where I put it.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/de77294d91c3abfb53a6532d/w/d6b496b6edee9504bfbf1be1/e/f99b3ddf034988c316b03461

• Options
    I just opened your edu document. On mine they both show the same, with the DIM on the tangent of the hole. I'll try making one from scratch and seeing what it does. The below screenshot is your edu document.

• Options
    Here is a public document I just made from scratch. It works properly. I don't know what is going on with yours?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/522043f68a3761dd81778183/v/99f6de5fc6afd219effb4228/e/235bfa06a081ac9b74142e42

What does it look like when you open mine?

• Options
    edited February 5
    measure from the center of the small hole horizontally to the edge of the outer circular edge and see what happens.

@nick_papageorge073

• Options
    I just opened your edu document. On mine they both show the same, with the DIM on the tangent of the hole. I'll try making one from scratch and seeing what it does. The below screenshot is your edu document.

My model and screencap, show the measurement from the center of the small hole to the outer edge of the left side.  the PDF changed that dimension to a different location.

• Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    It,s not an answer of your question but I cannot figure out why you would want to dimension a part like this.

This one has all the dimension that are needed.

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,412 PRO
    @dirk_van_der_vaart

The 50mm dimension in your drawing is maybe useful for understanding the design intent, but it isn't something that you would normally want to inspect. It could make sense as a basic dimension if you were calling a profile tolerance on the R15 edge/surface.

Also from a style standpoint the 15mm vertical dimension on top of the part is awkward. There's no reason not to pull that off of the part (to the right, between the 30 and the part) for clarity.
  • Options
    It,s not an answer of your question but I cannot figure out why you would want to dimension a part like this.

This one has all the dimension that are needed.

Our shop likes everything dimensioned from the upper left corner
  • Options
    rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
    Looks like the dimension tool is trying to default to "outside to outside" radius. Could this be an "order of selection"or"picking unsuitable objects" issue?
    Just a thought
  • Options
    edited February 7
    @josh_targo it still works properly if I dimension the one I made from scratch the way you asked. Screenshot and link below. Did you ever contact support? For free hobby users it's in the question mark menu in the top right of the screen. "Report a bug". IDK if edu users have another button.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/522043f68a3761dd81778183/v/75977e6fcd59fe8dce4e4bed/e/235bfa06a081ac9b74142e42

• Options
    Sorry for the basic question: You are creating a brand new "pdf export" whenever you make any 2d drawing changes, correct? The pdf does not update, as it's a static file, outside of the onshape system. It just lives in the browser tab for convenience.