Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to stretch part diagonally

Is there a way to have a part and then shift one side down to change the part? For example, if you have an extruded rectangle, could you shift one side down to transform it into an extruded parallelogram (as shown in the picture below)? I cannot do this in the sketching part of the design. Any help is much appreciated. 

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    Answer ✓
    @thomas_fieguth, the "Move Face" tool will accomplish the task that you describe (example):
    1. Select top and bottom faces of the Part
    2. Select ROTATE (alternates OFFSET & TRANSLATE)
    3. Select an AXIS to rotate about
    4. Specify the ANGLE of rotation (and direction)

However I encourage you to question your assertion that, "I cannot do this in the sketching part of the design".  Editing the sketch, is generally the superior method and a better modeling practice.
    1. Delete the HORIZONTAL constraint (top of rectangle)
    2. Delete PERPENDICULAR constraint
    3. Drag the rectangle into a parallelogram.  Better yet dimension the angle, to fully constrain the sketch (good engineering practice)

Answers

• Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    edited February 5
    That,s possible, you will have to delete the Perpendiculer constraint on all four corner,s.
    Have a look at the help file.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/constraints.htm?Highlight=Constraints

But it will be much easier to draw the sketch with an angle in the first place, define the angle and can change it whenever you want
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    Answer ✓
    @thomas_fieguth, the "Move Face" tool will accomplish the task that you describe (example):
    1. Select top and bottom faces of the Part
    2. Select ROTATE (alternates OFFSET & TRANSLATE)
    3. Select an AXIS to rotate about
    4. Specify the ANGLE of rotation (and direction)

However I encourage you to question your assertion that, "I cannot do this in the sketching part of the design".  Editing the sketch, is generally the superior method and a better modeling practice.
    1. Delete the HORIZONTAL constraint (top of rectangle)
    2. Delete PERPENDICULAR constraint
    3. Drag the rectangle into a parallelogram.  Better yet dimension the angle, to fully constrain the sketch (good engineering practice)

• Options
    thomas_fieguththomas_fieguth Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Right. The move face tool was what I was looking for. 
    I should have been more specific about the "I cannot do this in the sketching part of the design" statement. The example I gave was an oversimplification of my problem for the sake of clarity.