Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What's the process if I need to edit an Inserted part?

josh_targojosh_targo Member Posts: 39 EDU
edited February 6 in Community Support
Sometimes I Insert a part and need to modify it, for example cutting it shorter. 

Do I need to Derive that part into my own part studio?

Can that be done from the assembly instance of the part, or do I need to search for it with the Derive feature?

Also, is there any way to change the Name or Appearance of Inserted parts without any physical modifications?

Best Answer

• Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Since you are having an EDU account I don,t want to spoil your day but this is what your teacher can find in your document, in Onshape every document has unlimited history, also importing parts and even Part studio's.

Answers

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 598 ✭✭✭
    There is no need to export and import. Derived uses existing OS parts. See part studio 2. If your part is an import then it will have an OS part name.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/44ebd861ddb9841558cc30c8/w/27ecba75d1d4ef9ee3244364/e/8250c1ccf25596adff0f0d22
  • Options
    edited February 6
    There is no need to export and import. Derived uses existing OS parts. See part studio 2. If your part is an import then it will have an OS part name.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/44ebd861ddb9841558cc30c8/w/27ecba75d1d4ef9ee3244364/e/8250c1ccf25596adff0f0d22
    Sorry, I meant an Inserted part, I edited the original post to reflect my new questions.
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @josh_targo, can you provide an example of a derived part and the modifications that you intend to make?  Onshape has a decent suite of "direct editing" tools like "Move Face" that may suit your purpose.

Where did the derived part/s originate?  Is this native Onshape geometry (parametric, feature based solid models) or "dumb solids" like a STEP file?
  • Options
    @josh_targo, can you provide an example of a derived part and the modifications that you intend to make?  Onshape has a decent suite of "direct editing" tools like "Move Face" that may suit your purpose.

Where did the derived part/s originate?  Is this native Onshape geometry (parametric, feature based solid models) or "dumb solids" like a STEP file?
    Sorry, I think I meant an Inserted part.
  • Options
    So back to your original question,  you insert a part in an Assembly and want to edit that part.

Go back to the Part Studio and edit your part there.

Also remember that parts that have a relation to each other , put both parts in the same Part studio
  • Options
    So back to your original question,  you insert a part in an Assembly and want to edit that part.

Go back to the Part Studio and edit your part there.

Also remember that parts that have a relation to each other , put both parts in the same Part studio
    The part isn't in my part studio, it's some else's part.
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 598 ✭✭✭
    Here is a sample of deriving a part from another document.
    A derived part can be modified to suit your different requirements.
    Very useful to make other bolt patterns or to suit machining of castings and the like.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/850adf21db9fda20bc67ee6f/w/d472803dbdf1b0468df1a3b0/e/61418a45404db9f9e1edb3f5
  • Options
    edited February 6
    Very useful to make other bolt patterns or to suit machining of castings and the like.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/850adf21db9fda20bc67ee6f/w/d472803dbdf1b0468df1a3b0/e/61418a45404db9f9e1edb3f5
    Is there way to derive a part into a part studio from an assembly?

Sometimes I Insert someone else's part into an assembly only to discover later that I need to modify it. I would like to be able to select a part in an assembly and click "Derive into Part Studio" rather than going to a part studio, clicking derive, and then finding the part I need again. Is this possible?

Also, is it possible to change the appearance of someone else's part that has been Inserted into my assembly?
  • Options
    rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 117 ✭✭

Sometimes I Insert someone else's part into an assembly only to discover later that I need to modify it. I would like to be able to select a part in an assembly and click "Derive into Part Studio" rather than going to a part studio, clicking derive, and then finding the part I need again. Is this possible?

Also, is it possible to change the appearance of someone else's part that has been Inserted into my assembly?
    Josh, If you are deriving someone else's work that you don't have edit permissions for -I think the short answer to all three questions is no. Just my opinion and maybe others could find a solution for you.    Good luck.
  • Options

Josh, If you are deriving someone else's work that you don't have edit permissions for -I think the short answer to all three questions is no. Just my opinion and maybe others could find a solution for you.    Good luck.
    I can go to a part studio and derive it and then edit it, but I was asking if there's a way to do this from an assembly, for a part that I already Inserted.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 676 PRO

I can go to a part studio and derive it and then edit it, but I was asking if there's a way to do this from an assembly, for a part that I already Inserted.
    Yes. You create a part studio in-context from the assembly. Then once in the studio, you select "transform" > "copy in place" and pick the part. That will make an exact copy that you can then modify as you see fit.

All that said, that's quite convoluted. I'd probably make a copy of the original part studio from your classmate, and modify it as needed, since it would be mine at that point. It will be completely independent of the original.
  • Options

Yes. You create a part studio in-context from the assembly. Then once in the studio, you select "transform" > "copy in place" and pick the part. That will make an exact copy that you can then modify as you see fit.

All that said, that's quite convoluted. I'd probably make a copy of the original part studio from your classmate, and modify it as needed, since it would be mine at that point. It will be completely independent of the original.
    The parts aren't from a classmate, they are from publicly available documents that belong to strangers.
  • Options
    If you want to copy parts from Public documents, then copy the Part studio from that document to your document and insert it in your Assembly.
    If you are in your Assembly and want to edit that part, RMB and select Switch to Part studio .........

• Options
    If you want to copy parts from Public documents, then copy the Part studio from that document to your document and insert it in your Assembly.
    If you are in your Assembly and want to edit that part, RMB and select Switch to Part studio .........

I'll try this when I get home. I want to see how I can most easily put that part into my studio for editing.
  • Options

I'll try this when I get home. I want to see how I can most easily put that part into my studio for editing.
    The way Dirk said is 100% the way for a random public document from someone that is not a part of your team.
  • Options

The way Dirk said is 100% the way for a random public document from someone that is not a part of your team.
    What's the quick way to copy someone else's part studio into my document? I don't think I ever saw it. I had been deriving their part if I need to edit it.
  • Options

This will be there for all the free accounts. Will not be there for edu or paid accounts (unless the owner turns it on).
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Since you are having an EDU account I don,t want to spoil your day but this is what your teacher can find in your document, in Onshape every document has unlimited history, also importing parts and even Part studio's.

• Options
    It's ok, I'm just a mentor for a high school robotics team.
  • Options
    edited February 7
    Ok , I have learned alot  by copying the workspace from somebody and then use the rollback bar to figure out how they did it :)
  • Options
    I should encourage the kids on the team to do that.