Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Custom Properties vs. Labels

Urs_Egger_REACTUrs_Egger_REACT Member Posts: 59 PRO
Hi There, 
The longer we work with onshape the more Documents we have. So I'd like to organize it a little more. Of course we can make Onshape folders. But I think it would be better to have something more future proof (thinking about PLM/ERP).
So I generally would like to group documents like for example:
  • Product Range A, Product Range B, Product Range C
  • Product Data, Manufacturing Data
  • etc. 

I think it would be enough to have this on document level.
  • I don't think it is necessary to apply the groups on every single part. 
  • And it is important to quickli apply or change the grouping to one or several documents.
  • And it is important to pass the grouping properties to a PLM/ERP system one day.
  • And it is important to find documents quickly with a search like e.g.: All Manufacturing Equipment for Product Range B

What would you recommend using? custom properties or labels? Or is there even a better way to do this?

Comments

• Options
    Rhett_RobinsonRhett_Robinson Member Posts: 95 PRO
    Labels are user specific, so you definitely want to go the way of custom properties. 
  • Options
    Urs_Egger_REACTUrs_Egger_REACT Member Posts: 59 PRO
    Thank you Rhett. So it is obvious which way to go. 
  • Options
    adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    Yeah, sucks that we still don't have Company/Enterprise-wide Labels. They'd be very useful

Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    Custom properties can't be applied at a Document level - the "highest" level they can be applied is to a Workspace or Version. You can also apply to a Tab (that holds an Assembly, Part Studio, Drawing, or File)....Company Labels would be soooo fantastic! (because they are set per-Document) and visible from the Document List view.