Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why doesn't the documents creators name follow along with copies - or copies of copies?

rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
This topic may be for the devs or maybe even a ticket item (but here goes) - And before we start, I understand about public doc's on a free account, (and I completely agree with all the terms). But still wonder why the originator of a document isn't tagged to the first version label on the copy, along with the name of the one that copied it. (and follow up copies, always showing the original owner). I have one model in particular that has been copied maybe a hundred  times (copies of copies), and I am flattered that so many people like it . But as the creator I wouldn't like to think someone else is padding a resume with that model . I love to share my work and really don't care if copies are made. I don't want to sound ungrateful, because On shape is a wonderful product, but I am curious. Is there an answer?

Also on the same subject - I would like to be able to find out who the real original owner is on other documents, so I could give out some thumb's ups.(instead of just a guy who made a copy)

Some clarity would be most appreciated

Answers

• Options
    As a follow up - this is my suggestion for what changes would look like.

In the "version & history" tab of the copy, the first version should have a button that links a URL to the original model, Then list the new owner with the label of "copy" attached to first version (do not change any other aspect - make it work just like it doe's now). This URL link and label of "copy" should propagate into all other copies no matter how other copies are made (copy from copy situation). This label "copy" should be seen in the "public document list" the same way as it does as if you make a copy of your own work.

If the original document is deleted, then the link would simply fail (no harm , no fowl)

The person that copies, should still have full rights to make edits to that copy, because it is a public document, and they still own that copy from that point on, into the future. They would technically "own" a "copy of a document" not a "stand alone document" that is untraceable to it's "origin".

I know this sounds like semantics, but I think this would accomplish several goals
      1) teachers could track students work for authenticity easier
      2) people could find originators so they can give out likes. (and we could here from our peers about our work).   
      3) make it more difficult to use other's work (undetected) - OK I admit this one is kind of a stretch, (and I have never seen an example of this),(but ... still)

Even if this couldn't be made backward compatible - I still think it would be an improvement worth implementing at this time.
    Once again I'd like to say, I don't want to change how copies work, just add some features to trace originality.
    I'm a big fan of Onshape and I know this seems like a small issue - but I think others might benefit from the changes too.

Are there other issues at play, or changes that I might have overlooked?

• Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Changes made should just be logged in the versions, including the user who made them. I thought this was standard behaviour?
  • Options
    Changes made should just be logged in the versions, including the user who made them. I thought this was standard behaviour?

I don't think that's how copies behave.
    I don't have a problem with people copying, or owning that version of the copy. Just wish I got credit for being the originator.
    I have looked at copies of my work that other people have made & can't find a way to trace it back to me. Maybe I'm missing something - but I don't see how to do it. If there is a way, I'd like to know how.