Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sketch Wrap (not projecting) with preserving length on to a non flat/curved surface

gatze_lgatze_l Member Posts: 4
I hope I'm in the right category.

This is what I want (side view):

Top view:

I want a wrap on to a spherical kind of shape where the length of the sketch lines are preserverd is this possible with oneshape ? (I have searched on the internet/forum, but could not find directly a solution)

Comments

• Options
    gatze_lgatze_l Member Posts: 4
    Bump...
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,389 PRO
    There's nothing built in to do this exactly. In this particular case, which dimension(s) are most important to control when the shape wraps? There may be some good work arounds.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    It looks like you're making a steel tongue drum from a propane tank (I've wanted to try that sometime). For this an other musical applications, I've been curious whether Onshape's new Modal Analysis could help dial in the pitch. That's only for Pro users though. Not sure if that's you or not. Otherwise, I am with Simon. There's no direct way to do it, but there are some ways to get there that aren't too bad.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 279
    A hacky approach: you could make a sketch that creates a tongue of the right shape when projected straight down, then make variables that measure important lengths on the projection, go back to the sketch, turn on final mode, and twiddle the sketch to dial in the correct lengths.

It's not awesome, but there's no way (yet) to flatten a non-developable surface.