Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Snapping elements to other elements

brain_hobbiesbrain_hobbies Member Posts: 6
I'm coming from a graphic design background and trying to figure out how to draw in Onshape in a proper and accurate way.

When drawing one shape connected to another shape, how do I "snap" to make sure they are perfectly aligned?

In my example screenshots, I've drawn and duplicated these tiny (2mm) strips onto the face of my main piece. When I zoom in very close, you can see that they are not properly aligned.

I'm guessing there's a way to properly align stuff? The only way I know at the moment is using the dimension tool for every single edge, which seems like the hard way for multiple tiny items.

Thanks!
Brett

Comments

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    Referring to the sketch in the upper image you posted: With the Use tool, select the upper edge of the blue shape. I recommend making it a construction line. From there make each of the blue lines you drew coincident with the line created with the Use tool. - Scotty
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 286 PRO
    Other than in graphics design, in CAD, you're supposed not to create building blocks all over the place, shove them around and then finally pile them up on top of each other, but to design them with constraints of their relative position already in mind.
    In this case, as long as you create parts, you would position and constrain the sketch that defines the additions on the face they are supposed to be attached to.
    When you create an assembly out of parts, you would fix the base part in space and then use mate connectors to do the snapping for all the other parts.

I'd recommend working through the basic courses first. They really help getting you up and running:

• Options
    rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
    Other than in graphics design, in CAD, you're supposed not to create building blocks all over the place, shove them around and then finally pile them up on top of each other, but to design them with constraints of their relative position already in mind.
    In this case, as long as you create parts, you would position and constrain the sketch that defines the additions on the face they are supposed to be attached to.
    When you create an assembly out of parts, you would fix the base part in space and then use mate connectors to do the snapping for all the other parts.

I'd recommend working through the basic courses first. They really help getting you up and running:

I agree with Martin on this one - I assume you are talking about working in a part studio & not an assembly (that's what the examples look like).
    This answer is more about general technique, rather than a specific answer, but here goes,
    Try this approach - if you have a choice - make a more complex sketch, at the beginning, so as to decrease the number of extrudes later on. Remember you can always change anything, in any sketch, at anytime in the future.
    This workflow just simplifies you're model - less step equals, overall faster modeling time (best practice). And remember to plan the steps you are going to use (in advance) carefully - this line of thinking is described as design intent, and mustn't be overlooked.
    If you are talking about assemblies - bone up on mates. And yes, assemblies are where you move parts around and stick them together.
    Use the help content, and all of the relevant free training courses - this is a huge resource, use it often .
    Stay with it - none of us, learned it in 30 minutes, lol.

• Options
    brain_hobbiesbrain_hobbies Member Posts: 6
    Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions! I'll get back to tutes and learn basic CAD concepts.

You're right, I'm used to designing magazine layouts and advertisements... creating concepts on the canvas and tweaking as I go. Seems I need to be more thoughtful and intentional before I touch the toolbar!