Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Degree Elevation of Bezier

rehevkor5rehevkor5 Member Posts: 13
The existing sketch toolbar button for adding a "Spline control point" is poorly behaved in that it changes the shape of the curve in question.

A better approach is to use degree elevation, which increases the number of control points but produces the exact same curve. This is a useful way of gaining more control over a curve as you gradually refine it.

I implemented a "Bezier Degree Elevation" FeatureScript feature to perform the degree elevation operation. However, it was only after implementing it that I realized the resulting curve is not editable. Nor can it be copied in any way to another sketch in order to make it editable. So, the only option seems to be that FeatureScript could output the control points, and after that you'd have to manually "Use" each point into a new sketch, create a curve using those control points, then undo the "intersect" constraint on each control point in order to make adjustments to the new curve. Needless to say, it's a pretty inconvenient/time consuming approach.

I don't suppose I'm missing some other way to do this? Like is there a way I can make custom operations that are part of the Sketch toolbar?

Comments