Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Drawings: part orientation

doug_hillsdoug_hills Member Posts: 26
hi guys. 
How can we change the basic orientation of a part in the drawing? so far, the parts appear as defined on the 3 planes.

I designed a planter box. The sides are sloped, but they are flat boards. When I open the part in a drawing, they come in at the angle thy were drawn at.
But since they are flat boards, I would like them to appear in the drawing normal to a surface. Rather than the drawn orientation. This will allow for better dimensioning.

second question: I don't know if it will have a related answer to the above.
I have a part with a slopped face. this face has a number of holes/features, that need to be dimensioned.
 In the drawing, this face appears at an angle when projected.  I would like to take that face, and orient it square to the page, which is how I would look at it while building it.

Thanks for your help.

Doug

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,516 PRO
    Two main ways to do this: either create an aligned/projected view in the drawing, or if you just want a "head on" view of a part by itself you can create a named view in the part studio that is normal to your plank and use that in your drawing.
  • Options
    don_bdon_b Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited February 23
    need to insert your named view instead of the standard views shown....I use "1" for a named view that I want to see. One can then take side top bottom from that inserted view. If you want normal to a side then "view normal"  to that side and create a "named view" .You get to "named view" by hitting the "cube" about 2 o-clock on your screen.
  • Options
    doug_hillsdoug_hills Member Posts: 26
    hi don_b, I've successfully created a "named view" in the part studio, but I can't figure out how to put it in a drawing. so it can be dimensioned properly. can you give me a reference to the training video?

Thanks
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭