Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Midpoint not showing

sam_onesam_one Member Posts: 16
edited February 19 in Using Onshape
note: I am really really new to onshape

I am trying to place a line from the midpoint of a line section, like this:
notice the orange square?

well, when I try to do this elsewhere in my document, it doesn't show up, even though I am hovering where it SHOULD appear.
screenshot of the problem:

heres a link in case you need it beginner | Part Studio 1 (onshape.com)

UPDATE: this seems to be because in the first case, I am using a rectange, whereas in the second case it's just two lines, so there is technically not a line segment in between them, so onshape doesn't have any line segment to use the middle of. 

Is this a bug, or is this intended behaviour? If the latter is the case, what should I have done differently to have this work with lines? I can't always use rectangles right

Best Answer

• Options
    rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I believe you have answered the question yourself.
     In the 2nd example, only the mid-point of the entire line will show, not the line segment between points. As a workaround you could draw a construction line between the two points - and this will give you a usable mid-point snap. Or better yet, draw a line close to the mid-point (assuming you want a line) and use the symmetric constraint to force equal distance between lines.
    Hope this helps, good luck

Answers

• Options
    rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I believe you have answered the question yourself.
     In the 2nd example, only the mid-point of the entire line will show, not the line segment between points. As a workaround you could draw a construction line between the two points - and this will give you a usable mid-point snap. Or better yet, draw a line close to the mid-point (assuming you want a line) and use the symmetric constraint to force equal distance between lines.
    Hope this helps, good luck
  • Options
    sam_onesam_one Member Posts: 16
    Cool! I did answer my question myself, but I wasn't satisfied: it felt like it wasn't the intended way to do it, since it seemes a little cumbersome for such a basic operation.

Your "better yet" solution seems real nice. I personally could have never thought of it because I didn't know you could constrain the "mirror" based on the "images", but it makes total sense now. It's the same thing as what I was doing with the symmetric constrain elsewhere, just the other way round.

Thanks!