Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Onshape Instructor Kit - 1.2.2 I'm stuck

So I have done 1.2.2 at least 10 times. and I keep coming up with the same answer 593914.627mm3
but it is telling me that is wrong. what am I doing wrong

Answers

• Options
    fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    I got the same answer as you... so either we made the same mistake, or perhaps there is a typo?
  • Options
    noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    Hi @benjamin_spencer and @fastwayjim, I get the same answer so we'll look into it more and likely fix it.

Thanks for finding this!
    -Noa

Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    david_cushingdavid_cushing Member Posts: 16
    I've done this with 2 outcomes one with "1 part" and another with "2 parts". Both didn't work. My '1 part' mass was almost the same except the xxxxxx.627 was xxxxxx.598. Off by 0.029.
    Since MANY people are having problems with this they will make a public announcement about the fix.
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    593914.627 mm^3 is if you create one part.  If you look at the first image, it is clearly two separate parts.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    john_wolterjohn_wolter Member Posts: 14 EDU
    To elaborate on jakeramsley's post.  When you extrude for the second part, be sure to click on "New" in the extrude dialog to create the extrude as a new part.  I was getting the same answer until I figured this out.  Perhaps the exercise instructions or the answer key should point this out as a common mistake.
  • Options
    I moved on to part 2. I will come back and do this one again to see if I can get it right the 2nd time around. I did notice in one of the videos in part 2 that they mention how to make an extrude into a 2nd part. Not sure if that was covered in any of the part 1 videos. I will see when I go through part 1 again.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @jakeramsley is correct. When you select New rather than Add in the Extrude, you should get 50865.396 mm^3, which is the correct answer. Everything is fixed in the online version (Introduction to CAD Series) and will be fixed in the downloadable Instructor Kit soon.

• Options
    Tnx @noa for the answer.
    Downloadable instructor kit?? Sounds cool.
  • Options
    It's the same content but in a downloadable form meant for teachers and classrooms. Feel free to take a look here (just keep in mind we haven't added the fixes yet).
  • Options
    Just leaving a note that the Instructor Kit is all up to date (as v1.10).
  • Options
    brian_guanbrian_guan Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Very weird. My answer is 50865.397 mm^3 while the official answer is 50865.396.  I think it is just floating point error. I wasted time by redoing the exericse multiple times... Can't we account for this sort of floating point errors by using accuracy tolerance of e.g. within 0.01mm^3?