Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mixing variables with values

ProApeProApe Member Posts: 52
Hi,
in the linked document "Golz" I would like to define a distance by using the fix value of 70 adding the value of the variable #aussenwand_starke=19 to it, but it doesn't work.
Why?
Kind regards
ProApe

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d3c4b229568a16581832250e/w/5ae1fd4d5bc093bf8e7ac2f5/e/f8d1abbf4a229ea77a89155d?renderMode=0&uiState=65d9ba37b31be854f683eac9

Comments

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you got it figured out. - Scotty
  • Options
    No, at the time I posted this question, that was not the case. It only worked when I put "mm" after the number 70. I'm a bit surprised that you have to specify the unit, which is not the case when I measure a line and enter a length, where the "mm" is considered the default.

I have created the outer walls of the beehive, but I don't know how to bring the parts together. I tried it in the assembly with the first (flat) connector, but nothing moves.

Another question: how can I use one part as a model for another that I have to redraw (instead of redrawing it from scratch)? For example, the front and rear walls have the same width, but differ in height.

Why I want to use dynamic components here: I want to be able to increase the wall thickness (currently 19mm).
    This means that the corner strips will change their position by the value by which the wall thickness is increased, so that they always rest on the surface.
    The inside of the hive remains unchanged.

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,552 PRO
    If you are manually adding a number to a variable, you have to make sure to include units, I'm guessing that the problem...
    So you have to add "70mm", not just 70.
  • Options
    Yes, that was the problem indeed and I had understood that meanwhile.
    Since, I'm struggling without a big success with the mate connectors in order to assemble the external walls of the hive.
  • Options
    edited February 26
    I had a look at your link and you should really be drawing the parts in the right place to start with instead of randomly putting around space.
    I would recommend to invest a bit of time going through https://learn.onshape.com/learn/learning-path/introduction-to-cad, it will be well worth it...

Here's a quick way to get started with something like I did in 5minutes: this: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c12a7b264f7aa1d5b2161494/w/8d80804b4c606e851430b98c/e/30bf09ff7032c3048c1b7746?renderMode=0&uiState=65dbf3eca5659c023af5a318
  • Options
    Thank you very much for the work you did!

I have understood that it is better to design the connected objects directly on site. I miss the much greater flexibility of Sketchup, which is much less powerful but much simpler, where I can just drag the objects with the mouse to the right place. That is why I use Onshape to try to create complex structures that Sketchup cannot handle, and in this case to create variables, which is much easier in Onshape.
    As I said, why I want to use variables here: I want to be able to increase the wall thickness (currently 19 mm), always to the outside, the inside of the hive must remain unchanged.
    This means that the corner strips will change their position by the value by which the wall thickness is increased, so that they always rest on the surface.

How can I do this in Onshape?

You used the Thicken function and the Extrude function. Do I understand correctly that the Thicken function requires less geometry, or what is the advantage?

• Options
    edited February 26
    ProApe said:
    Thank you very much for the work you did!

I have understood that it is better to design the connected objects directly on site. I miss the much greater flexibility of Sketchup, which is much less powerful but much simpler, where I can just drag the objects with the mouse to the right place. That is why I use Onshape to try to create complex structures that Sketchup cannot handle, and in this case to create variables, which is much easier in Onshape.
    As I said, why I want to use variables here: I want to be able to increase the wall thickness (currently 19 mm), always to the outside, the inside of the hive must remain unchanged.

How can I do this in Onshape?

You used the Thicken function and the Extrude function. Do I understand correctly that the Thicken function requires less geometry, or what is the advantage?

I started by creating a part representing the inside volume and then used thicken as a way to keep the material outside of that volume, It also means I don't need to create more sketches for it but it's definitely not the only way. I could have also extruded the sides one by one but the thicken allowed me to do the front and back in one feature (and the sides in another feature instead of requiring 4 extrudes).
    The corner pieces are sketched directly on the sides and ends of the box so will move accordingly if you change the thickness.
    Try changing the "thickness" variable in my earlier model:

• Options
    Before I try:

"The corner pieces are sketched directly on the sides and ends of the box, so they move accordingly when you change the thickness".

Is this also the case with the extrusion method?

There was one detail I missed, or at least I did not go that far into the detail: The back is not 470mm, but only 370mm high, with the same height position as the other parts. This should make the thickening method difficult or impossible, doesn't it?

What I don't understand is that you just drew a square to represent the interior and then made it thicker? How did you make the four sides of one part?

• Options
    @ProApe
    I suggest you make a copy of my document above and go through the steps one by one using the rollback bar.
    I started by creating a "box" representing the inside volume, by extruding a rectangle on sketch1 (596 x 658) to 470 tall. I then used the "thicken" feature to create new parts directly from the faces of that box.
    However you could also just create a sketch on the face of that "box" if you want to use a more "conventional" approach and want to use only part of the face.