Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Resize parts of a sketch

g3gg0_deg3gg0_de Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in Community Support
Hello there,

for making a cookie mold i had to export a PDF -> blender -> DXF -> OnShape -> Sketch -> redraw with splines.
Now i have the logo i wanted to extrude etc as clean, connected splines and lines. It's just a few of them.

So i derieved the original sketch into a new part studio, "Use"d the lines i needed in a new sketch and thought thats good.
Before i can bring it into 3D shape, i will have to resize the Sketch's content as the size doesn't fit. My wife doesn't want to make 3m wide cookies btw.
Simply adding a dimension - like you would do in a virgin sketch - won't resize the sketch, it will just move the points i selected, skewing the whole drawing.

So my question:
How can i resize the content of a sketch as if the sketch was a fresh one?

BR,
Georg

Answers

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited December 2015
    No easy way to scale the sketch. This has been requested in previous forum posts. You could raise a feature request if you think its needed.

I had a similar problem on a recent project. I ended up extruding as solid parts and doing a Transform, Scale uniformly of the 3d bits.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    If the sketch is what you need you could extrude it into part --> scale --> start new sketch on top and use/project the edges of scaled part.
    //rami
  • Options
    g3gg0_deg3gg0_de Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Thanks guys, too bad this isnt possible in some other way.
    I could manage it by *again* "Use"ing the already "Use"d sketch lines in another fresh sketch.
    Then i removed all constraints manually and deleted the "Derieve"d Layer and the first sketch that used the splines from the derieved.

This way the remaining sketch was resizeable using the distance tool.
    Far from nice but it worked :)

Thanks again and happy holidays.

BR,
    Georg
  • Options
    jan_rychterjan_rychter Member Posts: 19
    Just got bitten by this. I imported a logo as DWG, but I can't scale it. What's worse, the "extrude it into part" technique doesn't quite work for me, because the sketch gets extruded into a dozen parts.
  • Options
    caylan_larsoncaylan_larson Member Posts: 2
    I'm successfully using Sketch.app on Mac, export to PDF, run through "DWG Maker" (for sure works on DWG 2013 setting, output lines, no text) or perhaps "DXG Maker" ($10 cheaper), I bought both after I had problems with DXG... but I think it was my fault.

Sketch Tricks:
    • Convert text to paths
    • Each path must have a border and be filled (if you don't, the export will be blank)
    • 1 pixel exported = 1 mm imported