Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Will this works?

andrea_rossi972andrea_rossi972 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭

Hi guys, I am planning to make a hidden compartment under a stair step. The moving part will be located beneath the stair, and I am planning to close it using either a push-pull mechanism or a magnetic system.

My concerns are that the tolerances will be very tight. That's why I've designed the rails to be fixed with two slots, which will provide some adjustment capability in one direction.

Could you please share your opinions before I order the parts?

Thank you, 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ff9f24056b237e432fb03433/w/d86fe90b1b67b4dda4441e61/e/da2c22de6f5f5a34a4d9df31?renderMode=0&uiState=65da757f9547f820695a87fe

Comments

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    Hello Andrea. Personally, I wouldn't be able to offer an opinion as to whether or not it will 'work' without knowing how your assembly fits into where it is to go. There likely are other existing elements that must be considered. It may be necessary to first model the other elements and insert your assembly with the proper mating of parts to test it out. - Scotty 
  • Options
    edited February 25
    Thank you very much for answering me.
    Yo make me think that I didn't know the exact internal structure . So I removed the under cover .
    Now I know that my mechanism will not work because I don't have enough space for accommodate the arms!.

Maybe the easiest way to make it work be a hinge on the longest side of the step, but I would like to preserve the step from soldering activities because after that I will have to repaint  it, and spray painting a stair in a room will not be so easy.
    Unfortunately the thickness of the metal shit isn't enough for a threaded hole I think-
    Another option is to use the soldered bolt on the short side ( it is the stop for the cover)
    I redo the all project with the internal structure 

For now, this is the actual state just in case someone could give me an idea for the easiest way to make this comparmtent.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ff9f24056b237e432fb03433/w/d86fe90b1b67b4dda4441e61/e/0e6b1ebcb5d13b064b8b6564?renderMode=0&uiState=65db49f10fb8332564fff76b
    Thank you

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    Andrea, a possible solution to the lack of thickness of the sheet metal would be to use nutserts. However, the thickness of the steel walls of the step looks thick enough to me. If questionable, use many threaded holes. If a hidden space it may not be used very often thus not under repeated use stresses.
    A drop down hinge might be an option; or just keep it simple and use a common hinge with braided wire for restraints.

- Scotty
  • Options
    Thank you very much for your great input!