Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

I'm looking for a way to distort or scale a spare part according to the curve

Hello everyone! It became necessary to bend a complex system of tunnels in order to slightly increase the strength due to curved walls. The curvature should occur in the x y directions of the upper plane, relative to the center point. I couldn't find a script that allows you to scale a part according to a curve or surface. It is necessary to "distort" the part in accordance with the curve of the super ellipse. In which direction should I think? Thanks! https://cad.onshape.com/documents/03ebd0562bcd3f86dcef9c41/w/b5095201863b571d50db094e/e/388ae50cf114dae87bbed81e?renderMode=0&uiState=65db4092b31be854f6879ad2

Answers

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,530 PRO
    Modify your sketch1 to have the profile you want?
  • Options
    BLACKWARDSWHITEBLACKWARDSWHITE Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for your reply! I have tried to think in this direction, but to no avail. I made several super ellipses with similar offsets in sketch1, but in this case the cross-sectional area of the tunnels does not remain the same throughout the length of the tunnels due to the peculiarities of the curve. Shifting the curve does not help either, it gives an error when shifting over long distances.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,530 PRO
    I see... I can't think of a "simple" way to do this unfortunately... I haven't looked in detail but in this case I think you would have to "rebuild" your tunnels in a different way to have the curve "built-in" from the start.
    One option I can think off might be to create just a surface representing the centerline of the path and then use a "thicken" at the end.
  • Options
    BLACKWARDSWHITEBLACKWARDSWHITE Member Posts: 5
    The idea is interesting, but this method is similar to the first one in its complexity. Given the frequent geometry changes, this option is not suitable for adjusting the tunnel parameters.