Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Custom Mate Connectors not coming over to assembly

dave_sartorydave_sartory Member Posts: 21 EDU
Hey folks -  I know this question has been asked in other forms, but none of the solutions helped and this is actually in the classroom tutorial from Onshape.  I'm doing the "bricks/lego" project and when we reach assembly, the mates created in the part studio (which are not inferable from the geometry) don't carry over.  I've tried selecting "reapply features" and have had no luck.  Following the instructions from the Onshape tutorial exactly.

Here is the current project:
https://fryeburgacademy.onshape.com/documents/1e38047ba3e7e9a531790d92/w/d29800bd59c1ff99b47a4577/e/45b397e230007f0445edaf60?configuration=List_059kixiHVNI1KF=Default;List_WmmBudSylMEleG=Default;List_dtmLVQYltihqBi=Default&renderMode=0&uiState=65dcfdd3968c503e78a50d67

The mates are the block underside mates that are linear patterned at the end of the feature list.  There is only one part and no imports.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

Best Answers

• Options
    Kevin_CowlesKevin_Cowles Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 17 PRO
    edited February 27 Answer ✓
    If the seed Mate Connector (the one you're patterning) is not carrying through into the assembly, then none of the patterned ones will. So I'd focus on debugging the first one. It may have to do with a recent Onshape Update, where Mate Connectors no longer require an Owner. It will automatically select the part as the owner if you create the MC implicitly from it, but sounds like that might not be the case here.

To ensure that the MC's carry through into the Assy, make sure the "Owner Entity" box is checked, and the target part is selected. See image below.

If the target part is no longer automatically added as the Owner of the MC based on the Onshape tutorial steps, then the tutorial should be updated. Please confirm if that is the case!
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    To ensure that the MC's carry through into the Assy, make sure the "Owner Entity" box is checked, and the target part is selected. See image below.

Thank you, Kevin!  "Owner Entity" had been selected, but the auto-selection was a surface of the sketch, not the part itself.  I never would have caught that myself.  Makes sense why that wouldn't work in the assembly and I also appreciate the added troubleshooting tip of focusing on the original MC.

Bolded your target part in my reply in case any other teachers stumble across this using while using the classroom curriculum.  There are always some deprecated features in these tutorials (seems like the nature of the beast with cloud-based software) but I usually catch them and just explain them in lab notes.  This one went over my head.

This lego project is such a great lab for the students (high school intro) but without those MCs the building part isn't very fun :)

Thanks again! 

Answers

• Options
    Kevin_CowlesKevin_Cowles Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 17 PRO
    edited February 27 Answer ✓
    If the seed Mate Connector (the one you're patterning) is not carrying through into the assembly, then none of the patterned ones will. So I'd focus on debugging the first one. It may have to do with a recent Onshape Update, where Mate Connectors no longer require an Owner. It will automatically select the part as the owner if you create the MC implicitly from it, but sounds like that might not be the case here.

If the target part is no longer automatically added as the Owner of the MC based on the Onshape tutorial steps, then the tutorial should be updated. Please confirm if that is the case!
  • Options
    Answer ✓

Thank you, Kevin!  "Owner Entity" had been selected, but the auto-selection was a surface of the sketch, not the part itself.  I never would have caught that myself.  Makes sense why that wouldn't work in the assembly and I also appreciate the added troubleshooting tip of focusing on the original MC.

Bolded your target part in my reply in case any other teachers stumble across this using while using the classroom curriculum.  There are always some deprecated features in these tutorials (seems like the nature of the beast with cloud-based software) but I usually catch them and just explain them in lab notes.  This one went over my head.

This lego project is such a great lab for the students (high school intro) but without those MCs the building part isn't very fun :)

Thanks again! 
  • Options
    ryan_kintryan_kint Member Posts: 1 EDU
    I'm currently using the classroom curriculum and my students are into the Onshape Power Tools unit. I've run into the same issue with the MC not showing up in the assembly. I checked the "onwer entity" and it is already checked and the MC's are still not showing up. Has anyone else still run into the situation recently?
    In the past it would carry over the MC's to the assembly, but now I can't even find a place to maunally set them up.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,375 PRO
    I've personally had issues with MCs not showing up, but usually it is related to the MCs being added early in the part studio, and somehow later features confuse things (body ID?). Try adding an MC as the last feature just to test.
  • Options
    @ryan_kint It was entirely the "target part" issue that Kevin identified above for me.  Since learning this I've had no issues.  Hope that helps!