Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

how to extrude a surface up to another surface

jeff_mcafferjeff_mcaffer Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
In spa patio | Part Studio 1 Copy 1 (onshape.com) I have the lower (gold/brown) thicken and the upper (orange) extrude and I'd like to estimate the volume between them. I figured I'd just extrude one up to the other but the Extrude feature does not seem to let me pick the lower (thicken) as a "face" to extrude up. If I use the upper as the face to extrude down, picking the lower gives an error when used as the "upto" part. (see Extrude 12).

I know the two surfaces do not have an exactly matching permitter but hope that's not the issue (don't see how I can make them align 100%). I also noted that you can't extrude any element of the thickened surface so it seems I've done something basic incorrectly with the thicken? Should a thickened part be just like any other part and have faces?

Help?

Best Answers

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,516 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Extrude 12 is failing because the "terrain" doesn't cover the entire area so in some places it has nowhere to "stop". Add a "move boundary" before you thicken (or I don't even know if you need the thicken at all?) so that the terrain is larger and it works:

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Oh. We'll there's that. It's there another feature that projects a perimeter and fills the inside? I guess you could put a plane in the middle and extrude both ways upto the surfaces. That would also allow you to define the angle of the edges (by tilting the plane).

Thanks again. Super helpful.
    A loft could be an option but in this case the shapes are too different for it to "figure it out" (I had a quick go at it and it was a mess). The only other way I can think off would be to manually create lofted "faces" around the perimeter, and probably use a couple "fill" features to close up some of the resulting openings, then you would be able to use the "enclose" features to create a solid. I haven't tried it but that should work...

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Extrude 12 is failing because the "terrain" doesn't cover the entire area so in some places it has nowhere to "stop". Add a "move boundary" before you thicken (or I don't even know if you need the thicken at all?) so that the terrain is larger and it works:

• Options
    Nice. I didn't know about Move Boundary. Makes it easy. Thanks
  • Options
    Actually, a quick follow question. Why can't I use "terrain" as the thing to extrude? It should have a face (I was thickening as an experiment do see if that would give something extrudable). 
  • Options
    Actually, a quick follow question. Why can't I use "terrain" as the thing to extrude? It should have a face (I was thickening as an experiment do see if that would give something extrudable). 
    Extrude only works on planar faces. 
  • Options
    Oh. We'll there's that. It's there another feature that projects a perimeter and fills the inside? I guess you could put a plane in the middle and extrude both ways upto the surfaces. That would also allow you to define the angle of the edges (by tilting the plane).

• Options
    Answer ✓

A loft could be an option but in this case the shapes are too different for it to "figure it out" (I had a quick go at it and it was a mess). The only other way I can think off would be to manually create lofted "faces" around the perimeter, and probably use a couple "fill" features to close up some of the resulting openings, then you would be able to use the "enclose" features to create a solid. I haven't tried it but that should work...