Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

flat head fasteners - mate connector is on the vertex of the conical face?

Andrew_NethertonAndrew_Netherton Member Posts: 18 PRO
The mate connector location for flat head fasteners has confused me since day 1, but it finally dawned on me that it represents the vertex of the cone of the mating face, and that I should be selecting the same in the mating part.  I believe this works, but just wanted to get some confirmation from others AND document this for other newbies to find.  Is this the intended use of this mate connector?

Best Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,384 PRO
    Answer ✓
    The vertex of the cone is the most accurate mate connector location. 

If the holes were created with a pattern or they’re all identical geometry, replicate should work, but obviously you can’t replicate based on a single face the way you would for a pan head screw. 
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Yes

Answers

• Options
    Follow-up question, if that is the correct usage of this mate connector, how do you replicate the fastener?
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    The vertex of the cone is the most accurate mate connector location. 

If the holes were created with a pattern or they’re all identical geometry, replicate should work, but obviously you can’t replicate based on a single face the way you would for a pan head screw. 
  • Options
    @S1mon so that is in fact what the mate connector represents?  Vertex of the conical mating surface?

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Yes
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,524 PRO
    Worth mentioning here as it's a common question: in order to mate this to a countersunk hole in another part, make sure to press and hole shift once your mouse is over the conical face of the hole so that you are able to pick the cone tip implicit mate connector.
    A truncated conical face produces four separate MCs: one at each end of the of the cone segment and one in the middle (just like a cylindrical face), and one at the tip of the cone, which is the one you want.

When using replicate you will have the option to "match faces in part" (i.e. will replicate fastener to every identical countersunk hole in the part), or match individual faces (where you can pick identical countersunk holes).