Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

move part from a multipart studio to it's own part studio

nelson_pereira280nelson_pereira280 Member Posts: 36
Hi all,
As i was viewing a OnShape webinar that discussed the derived feature, it also shortly discussed the Top Down and Bottom up approach in building in CAD. I like the bottom up approach so here is my question:

I have a part studio that has multiple parts in it. How do I MOVE each part to it's own part studio? Is that possible after the fact? Then i could have the following setup in my tabs:
tab 1 would had all parts derived into a single Part Studio (block and bracket)
tab 2 would be the bracket
tab 3 would be the block

is this possible?

Best Answer

• Options
    Urs_Egger_REACTUrs_Egger_REACT Member Posts: 59 PRO
    edited March 6 Answer ✓
    If you want to follow bottom up approach then the rule "one part per part studio" applies. Then you don't need to split it into different part studios because they already are separated. So you can assembly all parts from the part studios in an assembly like lego. 

If you use Multipart-Studios with multiple parts you no longer follow the bottom-up approach. Then it makes no sense to split the parts into different part studios because you can insert part by part in an assembly. 

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,387 PRO
    If all the features that create each part are fully independent, you can duplicate a tab, and then in tab A you delete all of part B's features, and in tab B you delete all of part A's features.

I've does this. It works pretty well.
  • Options
    so can you clarify on what you mean by independent feature.

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,387 PRO
    Independent, in this case, equals features which are only dependent on the default datums and the origin. 

If you use one fillet feature to add fillets to both parts at once, that's going to be a little more complex to split up. If part 'A' has a sketch on a face of part 'B' that's going to be even harder. You can show dependencies with a right click menu. 

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 676 PRO
    Why would you want to break out parts currently drawn together into separate studios, and then combine them again using derive? That's just a big circle.

Are you trying to make an assembly?
  • Options
    Urs_Egger_REACTUrs_Egger_REACT Member Posts: 59 PRO
    edited March 6 Answer ✓
    If you want to follow bottom up approach then the rule "one part per part studio" applies. Then you don't need to split it into different part studios because they already are separated. So you can assembly all parts from the part studios in an assembly like lego. 

If you use Multipart-Studios with multiple parts you no longer follow the bottom-up approach. Then it makes no sense to split the parts into different part studios because you can insert part by part in an assembly. 
  • Options
    Why would you want to break out parts currently drawn together into separate studios, and then combine them again using derive? That's just a big circle.

Are you trying to make an assembly?
    makes the part studio less cluttered
  • Options

i understand.