Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

trying to use linear pattern to replicate sketch multiple times - not working

nelson_pereira280nelson_pereira280 Member Posts: 36
Hi,

i'm doing a rack and have 2 sketches. One is the face and the other is the supports (on the same plane). I need to replicate the face 2 more times (center and end) but using linear pattern repeats both face and supports. I can't seem to be able to repeat just the face. I tried repeat feature and that doesnt work either.

note that the support and face are the same part but different sketches. the supports extend to 160mm.
I don't know how to resolve this. 

Doesnt see hard to do but I'm just not getting it. I dont think duplicating the sketch of the face on a new plane is the way to go, although it might work, but will make the document cluttered. Is there a better way to do this?

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,387 PRO
    If you share a public document, I'm sure someone can help.
  • Options
    This is the link: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3287873f06d1f20d44c52ee0/w/21cca9148db8341040b05f19/e/50793c88b66abcb7e7095ff5

although I did it with copying the sketch and making new plane and pasting the sketch on them, although it’s cumbersome. I’m trying to find a way to do this better and simpler if there is a way.

ps: why does it take so long for my replies to show up? Does every post have to get accepted by an admin?  This is awful….
  • Options
    There are a zillion ways to do something like this, and it depends a lot on what you're likely to change in the future. If you're going to want to play with the number of "faces" or "supports" and have them be spaced evenly, then what I've done is not necessarily ideal.

In terms of just getting something done with a reasonable number of features, this might be good to look at. Since the middle "face" and the two end faces have different thicknesses, but the whole thing is symmetric, it makes a lot of sense to start with everything centered on the origin. This allowed me to get rid of extra planes and sketches. I adjusted the transform to do that. The extrude tool can do a lot of different things including create extrusions that don't start/end at the sketch plane. I was able to reuse the sketch in question and then mirror that feature.

• Options
    im not sure I understand what you actually did...
  • Options
    If you have specific questions about specific features...
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭
    Nelson
    Try doing a roll back to study what S1mon did. A very clean feature tree to learn from.
    Import centered at origin with all sketches on right plane with out making more plains.
    Sketch1 uses import to set sizes. Sketch2 is also on right plain.
    All extrusions are from the right plain and existing faces.
    Mirror (at right plain) to reuse feature geometry instead of repeating sketches and plains.
    Look close at how he did the extrudes. Moving the roll back bar will let you see the stages.

S1mon. Very clean sample.

• Options
    hmmm.... ok let me check since I don't know what you mean by roll back bar but i'll figure it out. Thanks
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a trip to the learning center is in order. Well worth the time.
    https://learn.onshape.com/learn/course/introduction-to-part-design/part-studio-interface/feature-list?page=1