Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

OnShape only utilizing 2% of Dedicated GPU

Peter_StecPeter_Stec Member Posts: 5
Hello all, I'm thinking I can't be the first with this problem! I have an RTX A2000 that scores wonderfully in OnShape speed testing, and shows usage when loading an OnShape model, but when I work on larger assemblies the dedicated graphics card doesn't pass 2% utilization...which is a shame due to my latency.

I fired up SolidWorks for a comparison, the same model had nearly zero latency and was utilizing up to 100% dedicated GPU performance.

I've can see Chrome and the card are playing together due to the high OnShape scoring at cad.onshape.com/check, and because the GPU is maybe 28% utilized when initially loading an OnShape model.

Please help my life be literally smoother!

Comments

• Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 360
    edited March 8
    Looking at your recent activity, you have an even mix of your dedicated GPU and the integrated GPU. Your Windows machine is not consistently using the dedicated GPU. Your FPS is inconsistent and often very bad. There's definitely improvement to be found for your interactive performance.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/webgl.htm
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    jnewth_onshapejnewth_onshape Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 58
    I recently bought a new laptop with a dedicated GPU but encountered mediocre performance. In WIndows 10, this could be fixed in Chrome by forcing it to use the dedicated, rather than the integrated, GPU. 

On my new laptop running Windows 11, I first attempted this same solution and saw no improvement. I then attempted setting it in the NVidia control panel. I received a message that said the toggling between dedicated and integrated is controlled by the operating system. 

I then tried to adjust this in WIndows settings themselves:
    1. I went to Settings, System > Display > Graphics,
    2. then "Add an app",
    3. selecting the Chrome executable at C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe,
    4. then choosing "High performance".

Then my performance was as desired. 

Not sure if the above matches your situation but thought I would share my solution. 

• Options
    edited March 22
    Looking at your recent activity, you have an even mix of your dedicated GPU and the integrated GPU. Your Windows machine is not consistently using the dedicated GPU. Your FPS is inconsistent and often very bad. There's definitely improvement to be found for your interactive performance.

@john_rousseau That's good news! I like the idea of a free improvement. 

I followed the web gl instructions previously, and it did activate my dedicated GPU (wasn't being used before I read your help file and implemented it's suggestions).

So any suggestion on how to get the dedicated GPU to be more dominant? I've tried disabling the integrated GPU and it didn't help, it actually made things worse.

I've previously set both Windows and Nvidia to 'High Performance' for Chrome which got the GPU up to 50% utilization while loading an assembly, but it's still super choppy.
  • Options
    @john_rousseau and more ideas. After 8 hours of diagnosing and trying new methods my frame rate is so low it's a challenge to work. I see my GPU peak at 50% (hover at 28%) when opening a large assembly. When working (interactive) my GPU peaks at 23% (hovers at 11%). If I open SolidWorks the GPU rockets up to near full power and activity is smooth...I cannot find the route cause.

@john_rousseau That's good news! I like the idea of a free improvement. 

I followed the web gl instructions previously, and it did activate my dedicated GPU (wasn't being used before I read your help file and implemented it's suggestions).

So any suggestion on how to get the dedicated GPU to be more dominant? I've tried disabling the integrated GPU and it didn't help, it actually made things worse.

I've previously set both Windows and Nvidia to 'High Performance' for Chrome which got the GPU up to 50% utilization while loading an assembly, but it's still super choppy.

• Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 360
    edited March 24
    @Peter_Stec please open a support ticket. The support team may have some better suggestions. I can see from your recent changes that you have not seen any improvements.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.