Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

System76 Serval 17" laptop for Onshape

STEGSTEG Member, User Group Leader Posts: 77 PRO
Hi everyone!
Anybody using a System76 Serval 17" laptop with Onshape? Looking to buy one but if someone can give me feedback about the hardware and the company, I would really appreciate.
https://system76.com/laptops/serval
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    jnewth_onshapejnewth_onshape Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 60
    I'll throw my hat in.

System76: Great hardware, linux-first, _ok_ build quality (plasticky). Because they are linux-first, theyve done the legwork to get all the drivers to work (a chronic pain with linux laptops imo). But hard to beat the value/money.

Your particular config has a 4060. Even in mobile that's a good gpu. I have the same and anecdotally it's the equivalent of my desktop super 2070, no slouch (just old, like me). For Onshape needs, you are bringing a thermonuclear warhead to a really angry beer pong match. 

Bump to 32GB. This is a serious machine - need the RAM to match. I, personally, would also buy the most powerful gpu offering (the 4070).

Your config is coming in for me around $2400 USD. For that sort of money, I myself would buy a slightly pricier x16 alienware:
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gaming-laptops/alienware-x16-gaming-laptop/spd/alienware-x16-r1-laptop/wnx16r1cto011?ref=variantstack
    But keep in mind:
    1. i love windows. no, really. Visual Studio Pro (not me, the software).
    2. i play games. though valve has done herculean service improving gaming linux for everyone so maybe that matter less these days?
    3. Build quality matters a ton to me. I touch the thing everyday - laptop needs to feel premium, need a great keyboard. Not emphasized in System76 machines.

Any which way you go: You're looking at a good machine.
  • Options
    Thank you @jnewth_onshape for your answer.

Here are my thoughts about your post:
    1. I'm a self-employed senior mechanical designer and will use it during my next 2 months travel next summer.
    2. Linux isn't a problem for me, I already had a linux (Ubuntu) computer and loved it.
    3. I don't play games.
    4. I will have 32Gb RAM.
    5. My actual desktop has a GeForce RTX 3060 and I didn't see its limits yet.
    6. Alienware doesn't have a numerical keypad.
    7. The Alienware has a 16" display instead of the 17" for the System76.
    8. The Alienware is much more expensive (3600$ CAD) than the System76 (3200$ CAD) in Canada.
    For a Dell computer similar to the System76, I was looking at a XPS 17 9730:

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/laptops-ultrabooks/xps-17-laptop/spd/xps-17-9730-laptop/caexchcto9730rpl03?dbp=1&view=configurations&configurationid=e054904b-ed79-401b-9e09-6615606937d1#features_section
  • Options
    jnewth_onshapejnewth_onshape Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 60
    It'll be hard to beat the System76 on price.

I used to have an XPS 15" and loved it. Windows (10 at least) really works well with a touchscreen.

I don't use a keypad, but to me the keyboard is the thing you touch the most with a computer so it should be a delight to use and exactly what you want. XPS keyboard is great (but from the screenshots, no numpad either). 

Three additional considerations, if you'll be traveling with your kit: Battery, weight, and the size of the charging brick. Nobody posts photos of the bricks! (I looked at the XPS - it sells with their 130W charger which is the one I have. Small and slim). Anecdotally I think Linux does better than Windows on power consumption.

One of the huge advantages of Onshape is that hardware matters a lot less because lots of computational heavy lifting is on the backend, so you just need some RAM and a decent GPU and you're cooking.

Good luck! Post of photo of your new machine when you get it!
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 675 PRO
    Completely different, but have you considered a MacBook Air? I have one for Onshape, and love it for its portability. It maxes out at 24GB ram, which is the version I got. I have not had it go to swap memory in a year of using it for OS dayjob work. It comes in 13.3" and 15.3" screens. The build quality is excellent. Highly recommend. The power supply is only 35 W and tiny. It's 1,899 USD with 15" screen, 24GB ram, 512 GB SSD. I've had a bunch of Dell laptops provided by work over the years, and the Apple laptops are just so much nicer in every way, IMO. Especially the trackpad.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-air/15-inch-midnight-apple-m3-chip-with-8-core-cpu-and-10-core-gpu-16gb-memory-512gb#

(of course I like Mac...)
  • Options
    @nick_papageorge073
    Thank you for your answer.

Personally I try to get as far as possible from Apple products (I had in the past) and I don't want to start a debate on this but shortly, this is the opposite of having a Linux laptop. Your answer might help some people to consider an Apple laptop and this is great from you.

@jnewth_onshape
    I don't use the touch pad, I use a 3 buttons mouse.

Portability is not a concern for me since I will use it in my travel trailer during my trip so the weight won't be an issue.

Also, I requested System76 to perform a Compatibility check (https://cad.onshape.com/check) on the Serval with the RTX4060 and the RTX 4070 and they should come back to me today with the results. I will then be able to compare it with my desktop RTX 3060.

I'll post here when my decision is made and I have the new laptop.  :)