Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

easy way to add a hand rail to my model

fernando_davilafernando_davila Member Posts: 10

Hi i want to add a handrail to the stairs on my project but the only way i found is make one sketch for every step where i need the columns for the rail. Is an easy way to do it instead to generate 1 sketch on every step

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ad93f830111a0184557401ca/w/5862a4e099b67772eac1676b/e/d42aaa6b404eb892acc25112?renderMode=0&uiState=65f8e56062989a6cd9b72100

Comments

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    Hello Fernando. Draw a line from a point on the edge of the first step to a point on the edge of the last step (two red arrows). Draw another line from a point (blue arrow) that is a vertical distance from the first line and ends at a general point above the starting point of the first line. Make the line parallel to the first line and dimension it to the desired distance from the first line.

In my copy of your document I expected that the handrail would be created using a sweep. Anticipating that I first created a new sketch (green arrow) on the face of the horizontal handrail with the Use tool, selecting the outer edges of the rail. The angled line was created on the face of the angled handrail; this allowed me to select the end point of horizontal handrail sketch as an endpoint of the paralleled diagonal line. This leaves the paralleled diagonal line and the lines of the horizontal sketch  'connected' as a path for the sweep. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/baeb3c1477c74cbee04e954a/w/7006b469e59fe2c90c8ba355/e/ae434ef6bb3ccfcfe05bb8e6