Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Gear Relation; Animating Assembly Error - Unable to apply transform. Instance(s) may be constrained.

martin_dangermartin_danger Member Posts: 9
I've got a motor with an output mated (using gear relation) to a spur gear on a mount. I'd like to animate the motor output so that it spins the spur gear, which I can do but the result isn't quite what I need nor expect. If I animate the revolute mate of the motor output, the output shaft stays still, the motor spins around the shaft and the spur gear remains still but the mount rotates about the spur gear. If I fix the motor in place, the motor output spins which then spins the spur gear and mount as one whole item - almost! If I fix the mount, the animation fails :/ I've tried switching the order of mate connectors in the revolute mate. The gear relation order can't be changed. I'm struggling with this - can't believe there are so many options that change the outcome to every result other than the one I need. 

Can anyone help me narrow down or find the issue? Here's a link to the assembly:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2d8713dfed9e455afcdfcb5c/w/20d1c2b1debc8baa5eedd5a1/e/3534792e0993434f7fa2c3b3?renderMode=0&uiState=65f93afd0c5923573f26bcc4

Best Answer

• Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
    Answer ✓
    The 2 spur gears have a fastened mate between. If you suppress this mate and 'Fix' the yoke and the Motor Mount Plate the animation will work.
    (To 'FIx' a part right click on part to get context menu. Fix only works locally so if a part is fixed in a sub-assembly it won't have any effect in the main assembly)

Answers

• Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
    Answer ✓
    The 2 spur gears have a fastened mate between. If you suppress this mate and 'Fix' the yoke and the Motor Mount Plate the animation will work.
    (To 'FIx' a part right click on part to get context menu. Fix only works locally so if a part is fixed in a sub-assembly it won't have any effect in the main assembly)

• Options
    martin_dangermartin_danger Member Posts: 9
    Thanks so much! Yes, it's obvious now. I'm very impressed at your ability to see that error. I looked but sometimes after staring at the screen for so long, I must lose focus and miss things. Thanks again.