Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Cut an assembly

robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
For a clockface I have made a weave of oak strips. One strip of the weave was modeled in a part studio and then mirrored to create a like strip. The two strips' wide faces to eventually be fastened 90 degrees to each other. I modeled each opposing weave in assemblies and the married them together in another assembly. The shape and other features of the clock's frame is not yet decided. I would like to be able to cut out shapes from the married assembly to use in different frame configurations. Alas, no boolean or split in an assembly. Is there a work around for this or must I create the entire weave in a part studio? - Scotty

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d88c835daead1b6b03142a47/w/d12c0623662d6fc6ddabd048/e/24461b925321f0f68dbb3f74

Comments

• Options
    I did go back to create the entire weave in a part studio. If there is one, please post an alternative. - Scotty
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 676 PRO
    In-context editing is what you are looking for. Here is the training course for it in the learning center. (Free for all users):

https://learn.onshape.com/learn/course/managed-in-context-design/introduction-to-managed-in-context-workflows/what-is-managed-in-context-design
  • Options
    Yes, I've used in context editing previously but I don't think it applies to a group since I'm not able to select that option. I suppose I could assemble individual strips of the weave using a sketch or a mate connector pattern to get all the parts positioned and edit them one by one but that begs an easier way. Thanks for responding. - Scotty
  • Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 483 PRO
    edited March 21
    @robert_scott_jr_
     The only way to use context editing (it is hardly true context editing) is to start a new in-context part studio from your assembly, window select all the parts and transform-copy them, then cut away. This is very messy (creates copies of all parts) but it can help to get where you need to be and harness the power of assemblies.