Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Variable Tables and Variable Studio

robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
Love using variables and tables. What I like a lot is having the Variable Studio (with all the variables) open on a separate monitor so it doesn't take up so much workspace. I know how to copy a variable table into a Variable Studio. There are frequently times I go back to a part studio to make changes that often create new variables. It seems the only way to propagate the added variables to the studio is to again copy the entire table resulting in redundant variables in the studio. Am I missing something in the correct usage of Variable Tables and Variable Studios? I've read posts here and elsewhere and I've watched any relevant video but I've got this feeling I'm not getting what is possible from a great resource. - Scotty

Comments

• Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 279
    The intended usage is that you can just open a Part Studio's variable table and edit the Variable Studio from there - i.e., you're not obligated to make variables in the Part Studio at all. We recently had some nice quality-of-life improvements in this area.

Separately, we do have an improvement request somewhere for migrating Part Studio variables to Variable Studios, and I agree that it would be good to have. I try to make variables at the right level of generality to start with; when I need to migrate a variable or two, I manually copypaste the name and value, which, indeed, isn't ideal.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,530 PRO
    If you are making changes that require new variables, why not add them directly to the variable studio (especially if you already have it open in a different window)? 
  • Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    Hello Eric. I'm gonna try that. Could be some consequences downstream although I can't imagine any right now. I'll find that out. I see there is an improvement request to link variable table variables to a variable studio. That might be a solution. - Scotty