Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to extrude from a curved surface and maintain the curve on the extrusion?

andrew_betts007andrew_betts007 Member Posts: 5
Hi!  This is my first post - I'm loving onshape and starting to become more ambitious :sweat_smile:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d13858c1b20695847c472d84/w/4d790ef02743da1e473d60f4/e/3c92ef2a76d2b2e85a059959

I'm working on this part, it's a hanger for a roll of tape to fit an IKEA SKADIS pegboard.  I'm using it as an exercise in learning OnShape.

I want to add a ridge to the edge of the curved surface on top and opposite to the hook side (so the ridge should be close to the viewpoint of the view above).  This is to hold the roll of tape in place - it's being held on one side by the body of the hook, and it needs something to hold it on the other side.

I've seen various solutions discussed for how to extrude from a curved surface, like starting the extrusion from inside the part (don't think I can do that here because the starting point would be below the inner curve), or extruding down from a higher plane "up to face" (but then the starting face of the extrusion doesn't follow the same contour as the curve you're extruding up to).  I also considered making the curved bit into a revolve, but I'm not sure how I could create the sketch for that, because the point that the curve starts is not a right angle (instead the curve is projected out from the line of the diagonal brace).

I hope this all makes some sense.  I just want to hold my roll of tape in place :joy:.

Best Answers

Answers