Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to smoothly connect two irregular solids?

Cat_Nhi_DoCat_Nhi_Do Member Posts: 2
Hi! I've been trying to figure out how to connect this half-sphere to an irregularly shaped object but I'm having some trouble figuring it out. I've tried using the loft feature to connect to the circle inside but I'd prefer if it merged smoothly with the surface. I'm essentially trying to give it a butt so if there are any other things I could do to get the final product, it'd be great to know!
Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,726 PRO
    edited April 2
    The easiest way is to merge the rough shapes with either a loft or extrude. From there, use the Fillet or Face blend tool to smooth everything out. Remember, fillets will not work if the surface quality is poor; the yellow part looks a little too wavy so this approach may not work.

If this approach doesn't work, you may have to re-do your yellow part to have smoother curvature, or do some surface modeling which will involve lots of guide sketches or curves and either Loft, Fill, or Boundary surface.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    It is helpful if you make your document public and post a link to it here. I can't conceive what you might expect for an outcome but for the sake of completing the task academically, I would try creating a place inside the gold colored shape. Create and revolve a sketch to create a cylinder with a domed top; choose Add in the revolve dialog. - Scotty