Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sweep 1 Rail

Jonathan_HutchinsonJonathan_Hutchinson Member Posts: 65 PRO
I think I'd say my biggest issue/bone of contention with OnShape is the Sweep tool, and how sometimes I have to think about 'Lofts' where I'd traditionally think of needing sweeps. My background is with Rhino, so accept my apologies for expecting something to behave like something else.

See below - there are 3 straight cross-sections  and two segments for a rail. There are so many cases when I might only need even one of these rails, for example creating a swept surface along a rail using two existing surface edges. The issue with loft in these situations (using the long edge as a guide) is that you won't get the nice interpolated second rail that I would expect. For a guide, check out Rhino's (by most accounts) 'vintage' Sweep1 tool, and just picking a rail and two sections. OnShape's behaviour which creates multiple Sweeps for each section I pick to sweep along absolutely baffles me (although I appreciate what it thinks I'm asking for).

@GregBrown - is this maybe your ballpark?

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,384 PRO
    Can you share a public document?
  • Options
    GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    Will be happy to take a look...
  • Options
    Jonathan_HutchinsonJonathan_Hutchinson Member Posts: 65 PRO
    Hey @S1mon, yeah I'll draw up an isolated example! Thanks both. In the end I had to give up on trying this particular workflow, but the ruled surface (which contains some Sweep 1 rail-ish aspects) helped me over the line for now.