Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Holes appearing in part – only visible from some angles!

triharderttrihardert Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
Hi all,

Weird one I haven't ever come across with OnShape before.

I'm making a storage box that sits on my bike frame just above the bottom bracket. Its shell is 1.5mm thick. For some reason when I get to the final stages, some gaps/holes appear in the part and as far as I can work out, there's no good reason for this. The holes are different in size and geometry dependent on the viewing angle in OnShape.

There's also no consistency in when the holes appear. If I roll back a few steps, they stay, a few more, they go, then it's not until the final boolean step that they return. The final boolean also takes an age to complete (over a minute).

Sometimes refreshing clears the holes completely, other times not at all. 

Has anyone seen this before? Is it a bug or something weird with my part?

Here's the URL: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c6de065d7d21d9263507ea15/w/5176e8043d02ed481865356f/e/f8a1a9181450d95eec4630dc

Many thanks for any feedback!

Cheers,

Tom
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,383 PRO
    Typically this kind of thing has happened to me when a part is on the verge of having some serious geometry issues. In other words, at some point you'll try to do something basic like extrude a boss to the part and it will fail when there's no obvious reason. You may want to report the part to support and have them look at it.
  • Options
    triharderttrihardert Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Thanks @S1mon, I've used the support function as you suggested, so hopefully the OnShape team will point me in the right direction.