Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I use extrusion to remove a shape from a surface when using parts in an assembly?

hedley_phillipshedley_phillips Member Posts: 11
First a link: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/35b1b610b6032665bfff9301/w/3828f7fba2459f69ba8cf07d/e/7d7662a159dfd3c27c0514e2?renderMode=0&uiState=6611413729596d5036d48cae

I'm using assemblies for the first time and was feeling all clever. But it's gone wrong.

I want to create a shelled out box (part 1) and then an extruded shape (part 2) that is mated to the base of the box and removes that shape from the base of the box. So in effect create a Letterpress style effect. I managed this when I had my box and the shape all in one part but was wanting to try assemblies. The issue I have is that the shape I want to remove from the box can't be a remove extrude in its own part as there is no material to remove from and it goes red and fails. So I have to use an add extrude which isn't then removing that material from my assembly.

Does this make sense or have I completely confused everyone? I want a box with a design negatively exctruded in the base.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Comments