Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

need help with merging 2 parts

nelson_pereira280nelson_pereira280 Member Posts: 36
Hi all,
I am making a smart phone charger magsafe holder. Initialy, i did a holder with only 1 magsafe charger. In the document below, you will see a second one that has a flat section for another magsafe charger. My issue is I wasnt able to merge the 2 base together for some reason, every time i try to delete the line between the 2 sketch, it screws up the whole design and I dont know how to fix this apart from starting back from scratch.

Can anyone help me in telling me how to bege the 2 base plate in sketch 1 ? Thanks

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0fe77cf87dae0b5520d0efbb/w/8d06a38538f8e94a8d9b7626/e/651cb6ca8bdccc8171b68817?renderMode=0&uiState=661416de231c8b78ed29d83f

Best Answer

• Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 278
    edited April 9 Answer ✓
    The conflict structure is a bit difficult to diagnose. I think the immediate issue is that that 80 constraint at the top of the sketch is actually 80.00003 mm. In combination with the other constraints, that skews the whole right half of the sketch.

In addition, there seems to be some numerical oddness b/c, if you constrain that horizontal construction line to actually horizontal, the sketch breaks. Which isn't what I'd expect.

Some pointers on sketch construction. Try to avoid coincident lines b/c it's hard to pick one vs the other. If you need a two-part rectangle here, just reuse the original rectangle and draw a line down the middle, or draw the remaining three lines manually. I prefer to explicitly specify coincident and horizontal/vertical constraints, which tends to prevent non-obvious misalignments like this.

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,382 PRO
    I'm not seeing the issue you're trying to resolve. Did you manage to fix it?
  • Options
    no, if you look at the front pane4, you will see that the face doesnt go all the way across. it cuts in the middle. then if you look at sketch1, there is a line in the middle which is where the 2 part meet. thats what I want to remove or combine both parts as one since even the fillet is screwed up because of this and when you print it, it shows.
  • Options
    Zoom in on the bottom of Sketch 1 - the two lines corresponding to the front of the holder aren't coincident.

Fixed: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3e1ac1bcbb53a6e3a189a42c/w/e351e201bff0fd0d658bfdb6/e/a9d72455b21821b6bed1d17a
  • Options
    how did you fix it? can you tell me exactly?
    i tried to make the 2 lines coincident but the whole sketch becomes red.
  • Options
    edited April 9 Answer ✓
    The conflict structure is a bit difficult to diagnose. I think the immediate issue is that that 80 constraint at the top of the sketch is actually 80.00003 mm. In combination with the other constraints, that skews the whole right half of the sketch.

In addition, there seems to be some numerical oddness b/c, if you constrain that horizontal construction line to actually horizontal, the sketch breaks. Which isn't what I'd expect.

Some pointers on sketch construction. Try to avoid coincident lines b/c it's hard to pick one vs the other. If you need a two-part rectangle here, just reuse the original rectangle and draw a line down the middle, or draw the remaining three lines manually. I prefer to explicitly specify coincident and horizontal/vertical constraints, which tends to prevent non-obvious misalignments like this.