Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I edit the Bezier control points numerically

miguel_munoz291miguel_munoz291 Member Posts: 4
I like the Bezier tool, but I want to enter the values of my bezier control points by giving it numerical coordinates. I've calculated the exact values I want, and eyeballing the curves won't work for my project. Is there a way to either enter the numbers for the control point coordinates, or to edit the numeric values once I've drawn a bezier curve?

Answers

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,529 PRO
    Use the dimension tool to locate the control points
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,387 PRO
    Dimensioning them works just fine. There are a zillion different ways to constrain them. Typically you need enough dimensions and constraints to manage each control point's 2 degrees of freedom - then the Bézier will turn black, showing it's fully constrained. You can also add points on the curve, and dimension to them, but you will typically need add more constraints to tie things down. The following three curves are all the same, just dimensioned differently.

• Options
    miguel_munoz291miguel_munoz291 Member Posts: 4
    This looks very interesting, but I can't figure out how to see these views on my screen. I tried the dimension tool, but it drew an arrow and showed me a number. The arrow didn't point to a control point, so I don't even know what it meant. I also right-clicked on my bezier curve and chose "Show Dimensions," but all that did was show the control points. I didn't get any numbers. What I want to be able to do is type (or paste) the numbers in, not just see them. And I can't even see them yet.