Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

export DXF from Oneshape Drawing

milan_uher898milan_uher898 Member Posts: 2
Hello,
we have a problem exporting DXT from drawings for laser cutting. We use Release 11-12 for DXF export because the DXF file is the smallest of all other releases. But when we want to hide some edges in the onshape drawing (holes or chamfers or something else), those edges still show up in the dxf file. The drawing frame and title box are also not displayed on DFX, which we don't mind, but the file size is suitably small, which is important to us.

If we used another version of DXF exports, some DXFs have the same problem, some DXFs are correct (hidden edges are really hidden), but the size of the DXF file is too large (1-2 MB).

What is wrong?

Thanks

Answers

• Options
    kevin_mcdowellkevin_mcdowell Member Posts: 5
    Milan,
    I would be considered a beginner CAD user, but I've done 8+ years of generating DXFs for laser and plasma table cutting, so I want to try and help.
    I just looked over some of my DXF files and super simple ones are 23kb and more complex up to 700kb.  

1-2 MB is so small anyway.  You'll have to tell me why this is a problem, because I think the 28 others that viewed this question would also agree that this is not a problem unless you're using a 1970's CNC with paper punch cards.  I've delivered DXF files by email, thumb drive, and over a network and 2 Mb is nothing.  Maybe I'm just curious about that need.

I would outline here how you generate your DXF.  I've found at least 2-3 ways to do it, and more when I saw a friend do it that I didn't even know of.  There's also several parameters you can set for the DXF, and editing you can do during the creation to simplify it.

You can also link your problem model here so we can view it and play with it to see if indeed 1-2 MB is a reasonable size to expect.
    I have no idea how complex or large your part is.

--- edit--- I just read this again and realized that you want the Drawing frame and title box on the DXF.  Maybe this is your problem.  I always create the DXF from the model in the part studio.  I didn't even know you can create it from the drawing.  (see I'm learning).  I did a lot of tanks and vessels, and the cut parts would be flattened, then R-click, select export DXF for the face I want to generate.  That's it.  

Hope this helps,
    Kevin