Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I convert from surface to a part?

abdulla_hadramiabdulla_hadrami Member Posts: 5
Hello,

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5cab9c8bd0c06800a23058dd/w/21f41b44ed254d01afa55610/e/7c29c9f531cc0f9dfe76bf91?renderMode=0&uiState=661944bfbb351732e9895119
I am having trouble with this CAD model of an aircraft where I want to make it a part instead of a surface. As you can see, the object is already filled at the wings but Onshape sees it as a surface. I tried using the enclose and Thicken but nothing worked as there are errors.

Thank you.

Best Answer

• Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
    edited April 15 Answer ✓
    Here is the model as a part.

There was an 'open' section that was preventing the surface becoming a part.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3ea65f25053bd9d55bef6189/w/b1a36d33a30fc385c9ad95fd/e/c067ff590abb44c4de9af93f

A helpful way to locate these open areas is to extrude a surface and use it to perform a split in the imported surface and then use the enclose command to see if one side of the split will then become a solid part. By moving the splitting surface to different locations you can then isolate the offending area. (See Part Studio 2 TAB)

I hope this makes sense

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,379 PRO
    You'll need to make your document public in order for us to help.
  • Options
    I made it public
  • Options
    edited April 15 Answer ✓
    Here is the model as a part.

There was an 'open' section that was preventing the surface becoming a part.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3ea65f25053bd9d55bef6189/w/b1a36d33a30fc385c9ad95fd/e/c067ff590abb44c4de9af93f

A helpful way to locate these open areas is to extrude a surface and use it to perform a split in the imported surface and then use the enclose command to see if one side of the split will then become a solid part. By moving the splitting surface to different locations you can then isolate the offending area. (See Part Studio 2 TAB)

I hope this makes sense

• Options
    Thank you so much!
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    There should be a diagnosis-tool to find open faces or bad surface joints in OS. That has been an industry standard for years im many CAD systems.
  • Options
    you can use 'Highlight Boundary Edges' but it's not always that clearly shown with a complicated open surface, (can be hard to spot)