Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there a way for Onshape to automatically scale a part to fit an Animation?

aidan_tiffanyaidan_tiffany Member Posts: 5

So I'm trying to build an Automata for a class of mine and there are errors that show up when I try to connect the hinge on the right to the follower. I'm trying to simulate a rocking motion and I realized that the distance of the followers would change when the main part is oscillating so I added a slot for play with a planer mate with the proper limits. I thought that this would fix the issue but the errors remained. I now am guessing that the scale of the jet is wrong but I can't figure out a way to find the proper scale so I'm wondering if their is a way for Onshape to do the calculations by its self or if this type of simulation is impossible.
Feel free to look at the documents. By the way the Hinges are a set size because I am using wood dowels as the follower and the shaft.
Credit For the Jet (B-58 Hustler) to GreeblerElf on Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5713180 

Document: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/18bde4f02b8c762c9287fdc1/w/c7cb887855b970ff7e5a0d86/e/7311a804da9cb1a2ac9d0758?renderMode=0&uiState=661df8df5d053e4ae608c104

Answers

• Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
    Your document is view only, can you make it public please so we can make a copy and edit?
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,521 PRO
    My guess would be that you have an "over defined" situation, try setting the "right" actuator to a "cylindrical" (in case you tried a revolute)...
  • Options
    GWS50 said:
    Your document is view only, can you make it public please so we can make a copy and edit?
    I believe that I changed it so any Onshape user can Copy and edit, let me know otherwise.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/18bde4f02b8c762c9287fdc1/w/c7cb887855b970ff7e5a0d86/e/7311a804da9cb1a2ac9d0758?renderMode=0&uiState=661e6e00e88ee537bf615c15
  • Options
    john_lopez363john_lopez363 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    The animation seems to be working.... guess you got it figured out!
  • Options
    My guess would be that you have an "over defined" situation, try setting the "right" actuator to a "cylindrical" (in case you tried a revolute)...
    I don't know why it would make a difference but that seemed to fix it. Thank you so much.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,521 PRO
    I don't know why it would make a difference but that seemed to fix it. Thank you so much.
    The issue is that both revolutes are trying to lock things in the Z direction so any small errors (even rounding errors in the math behind the mate solver) can make think they are over-constrained. Switching one to a revolute removes the "conflicting" Z constraints.