Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

lofting from a sketch gets screwed up by other sketches on the same plane

stuart_robinsonstuart_robinson Member Posts: 18
this feels like a bug because the Loft menu box says "Face of Sketch 1" but it's showing a bunch of shapes that are distinctly *not* in "Sketch 1"

to avoid lots of zooming and clicking, do i have to put all these sketches on their own planes?  

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,524 PRO
    Can you expand the "face of sketch1" selection the loft, I wonder if you somehow ended up with the face of the solid in there as well...
  • Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 279
    edited April 18
    The problem (or at least one of them) is that loft doesn't support faces with inner loops (mouse over the red feature dialog header), and the red shapes are those loops.
  • Options
    @eric_pesty when i tried that earlier it didn't seem to show anything useful. just said "Face of Sketch 1" again i think
  • Options
    @_anton
    He's saying he only selected sketch1 which doesn't have any internal regions. But the red preview does suggest there is a face of the solid selected in there somehow.

You also only have one selection for the loft, did you try picking another profile for the loft to see if it solves it? It could just be a graphical glitch (refreshing should also clear that if that's the case).

We might be able to figure what's going on if you share a link to your doc...

• Options
    ok i think i figured out what's happening.  example here

when you create a "New sketch" from the surface of a Part, this new sketch becomes cursed forever by the ghost of the Part's perimeter in that plane

i'm worried that this is a Feature since i could imagine it could be useful at times if someone is aware of the behavior, but it's caused headaches for me before, and seems distinctly bad.  since i feel like you should be able to see that something is a Sketch, and understand everything about the Sketch from the Sketch itself.  without needing to remember hidden artifacts lingering around as side effects from the specific way that Sketch happened to be created.

for example, here i have two sketches.  Sketch 1 is clearly a circle, and Sketch 2 is clearly a rectangle

now i'd like to loft my rectangle:

but i cant.  because there's an undead circle hiding inside it that i cant get rid of,

because of how the rectangle was created. (by creating a "New sketch" from the other end of an extrusion of the circle sketch)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a82f03eed8bf29ae67e2de8e/w/2e833e275c987e44d42fc3d0/e/d854c39f0f00246eaa8f19d4
  • Options
    so actually now that i understand how this works, i've been able to use it to solve a lot of other problems and it's really powerful and useful.  but i do still think it's a bad design.  unintuitive/cryptic 
  • Options
    so actually now that i understand how this works, i've been able to use it to solve a lot of other problems and it's really powerful and useful.  but i do still think it's a bad design.  unintuitive/cryptic 
    You can also turn it off in the sketch dialogue using the "disable imprinting" checkbox...
  • Options
    oh wow TIL "imprinting", thank you @eric_pesty!